3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Desperate for front shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:46 PM
zyklor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperate for front shocks

Does anyone have any info on shocks for the front on our Dakota's? I preordered Monroe shocks from shockwarehouse.com in June. They had them listed as available on June 30. I contacted them last week about the status of the order and received an email saying that they will not be available till December. Monroe's site says Third Quarter still. I cant wait till December. I have 65K on my truck and I hate driving it because a 1984 Buick Regal with original shocks handles and rides better. Does anyone know of any shock that I can make fit or if any shock will become available very soon? I don't want to buy the OE shocks unless its my last resort.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:49 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Desperate for front shocks

i was working with the guys over at bilstein and they have a shock for our truck but cant find anyone to mass produce it yet. they still say end of 07.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:01 PM
zyklor

Bilstein is what I really want to get but I cant wait till the end of the year... I put crazy miles on my truck and it wont last that long without me running it off the road in aggravation. But in that case, if I total it like I did my 04 Dakota, I can get a new one again but my insurance will also go up again. I need something to use until the Bilstein's become available and don't want to give up anymore money to Dodge for crappy shocks.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:35 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the only other thing is get the oem shocks but for the trx edition they are suppose to be stiffer but by not much.this is what are shocks look like

[IMG]local://upfiles/31284/37A93072B6D44551A16CD79EE7932F6C.gif[/IMG]

Old 07-15-2007, 01:15 PM
LB
Veteran

My parts guyreferenced 06 TRX4 shocks (using the vin) and they are the same PN as my 05 Lamarie.

The 07 shock is a different PN though, but I have heard the ride is the same though.

frustrating!!!

LB

Old 07-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: zyklor

Bilstein is what I really want to get but I cant wait till the end of the year... I put crazy miles on my truck and it wont last that long without me running it off the road in aggravation. But in that case, if I total it like I did my 04 Dakota, I can get a new one again but my insurance will also go up again. I need something to use until the Bilstein's become available and don't want to give up anymore money to Dodge for crappy shocks.
To be honest I don't think you have any choice but to wait. The only people we know of who are coming out with shocks right now are monroe and bilstein, all the dealer shocks are pure junk, there's not many other options. Unfortunately the aftermarket seems to be generally ignoring us...

Old 07-15-2007, 04:58 PM
pro4x4
Veteran

Almost makes me wish I bought a different truck. It is so frustrating to me that no company cares about these trucks. I see more 05 and up dakotas on the road now than I did when I bought mine back in april 05. I see at least 7 of them every day just driving to work. I wanted to get new front shocks before I got the leveling kit. Now I might as well just get the leveling kit.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Actually the leveling kit makes the ride a little more bearable. I also find it frustrating with the aftermarket, the colorados and canyons have way more support than we do and I see more new dakotas than I see those. Not to mention our trucks are much more capable and in my opinion much nicer and worth supporting.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:38 AM
zyklor

I called the dealer in my area and asked about the TRX edition and he didn't know what I was talking about. He looked up my VIN and said only one shock was available for my truck and that they had none available anywhereand it would take aseveralweeks to get. I'm to the point now where I don't want to drive the truck anymore. And unfortunately, like everything American made these days,it not worth crap for a trade in.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

I still can't understand why some of the imports are worth a decent bit on trade, I've driven american vehicles and I've driven imports and there's not that huge of a difference. If anything my american made cars have been more reliable.

Quick Reply: Desperate for front shocks