3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

trailmaster level kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:50 PM
pro4x4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailmaster level kit

Well I'm about to order the level kit from Autoanything.com. I am trying to decide if I should intall it myself or pay someone to do it. I have done suspension work on this truck before so I have the ability to do it but I will need to get rent a spring compressor from auto zone. Has anyone who has the trailmaster kit installed it themselves? What am I in for? The instructions seem good but there are always something that doesn't go right.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: trailmaster level kit

I tried it, got the shock out without too much issue (watch out for the sway bar end links, I think they're made of tin or something, nut was crossthreaded and I snapped the top off without even feeling it). Then I couldn't get the strut compressor on the spring, the pieces were too thick and spring was coiled too tight, had to pry it like crazy with everything available. Finally fit them in there but I had to push them further towards the middle. Start cranking them down, compress the spring as much as I can with where I had to position them and it's still too tight to do anything.

What I did at this point was call my local auto parts store and ask if they had a wall-mounted spring compressor, they did and they said if I brought the struts in they could compress the spring and install the spacer for about $30. So I brought them in and then they called me and said the nut on top of the strut was cross-threaded, gave them back to me not installed but didn't charge me. I put them back in the truck still stock, brought it down to the dealer and asked them to install the kit, got both shocks replaced under warranty because the drivers side was crossthreaded and the passenger one got screwed up in the process.

That's probably about the worst case scenario that could happen. About everything that could go wrong did for me. Total cost in the end was $95 or so for the kit, $60 for a new swaybar endlink from mopar, $65 for an alignment after the first failed attempt (had to go to NY for the weekend before I could get it to a dealer). Then $120 for dealer labor not covered under warranty and another alignment and I finally had my level kit. So the install alone was $255 in my case (and I thought I'd save money doing it myself, lol).

Honestly if you can get it installed and alignment for $150-$160 I think it's worth it, otherwise if you have the time and want to do it yourself find out if you can have someone put the spacer on the shocks with a wall-mounted compressor (you'll save so much time and frustration, it's so easy with the wall-mount).

Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 PM
pro4x4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: trailmaster level kit

Yea that was one option I was thinking about I can get the struts out no problem and then take them somewhere and have the spacers installed. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: trailmaster level kit