3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dumb Fill up question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:54 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dumb Fill up question.

I've only had it spurt out on me once. I was topping it off and I bumped the truck to get some of the air out of it and the next thing I knew I had gas literally shooting out of the tank and all over the place. Of course I washed the truck.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Night_Runner
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm wow. when mine clicks i can usually add another $2. but i top it off. i didnt not know it could cause problems. i have never had the light turn on. guess ill have to quit doing that

Old 07-18-2007, 01:51 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

ORIGINAL: Night_Runner

hmmm wow. when mine clicks i can usually add another $2. but i top it off. i didnt not know it could cause problems. i have never had the light turn on. guess ill have to quit doing that

Some mechanic friends I have talked to have said it is equivelant to running your gas down to 1/8 of a tank. Just more hard work on the pump, therefore causing it to crap out faster.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

well thanks for tellin me that. as for the 1/8 tank. ive always tried to not get below 1/4

Old 07-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Beazer
Rookie

The reason it runs over if you put more in after the "click" is because of air in the tank. Pull the handle and wait a second or two. For fuel to go in, air has to come out, usually there's fuel trapped in the tank neck that will go down as air bubbles out through it. You can see this best by pulling the filler handle and shaking the truck, this causes the air to come out faster. I always top mine and haven't had any problems. When I say top, I mean up to the point where it's coming out around the trap flap sometimes. No lights, no problems at all and I've always done it with every car I've owned.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Antjmar
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies I guess its designed this way and not a defect. I am just surprised that it will spill after only 10 cents! Forces me to pay attention when filling it. I ll try to shake the truck next time to see if air comes out.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

ORIGINAL: Beazer

The reason it runs over if you put more in after the "click" is because of air in the tank. Pull the handle and wait a second or two. For fuel to go in, air has to come out, usually there's fuel trapped in the tank neck that will go down as air bubbles out through it. You can see this best by pulling the filler handle and shaking the truck, this causes the air to come out faster. I always top mine and haven't had any problems. When I say top, I mean up to the point where it's coming out around the trap flap sometimes. No lights, no problems at all and I've always done it with every car I've owned.
thats what ive always done, never shook the car though

Quick Reply: Dumb Fill up question.