3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dumb Fill up question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Antjmar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Fill up question.

I hae a question regarding filling up our trucks (with gas). WhenI fill up my truck I set the gas pump to "auto fill" so it "clicks when full. The problem is that when the gas pump clicks (stops) the tankshould be ALMOST full. If I try to put inANY more gas it will spill. I am talkin even .10 cents worth! My other car I can round it up to the nearest dollar without spillling. I've tried 3 different staition so I know it not the gas nozzle. Is this normal for Dakotas? If not what needs to be replaced?
Tony2006 QC V8 SLT TRX4

Old 07-17-2007, 10:45 PM
mb18
Record Breaker
Default RE: Dumb Fill up question.

Yup, mine does essentially the same thing. I tried rounding off every time I filled up right after I got it, but spilled a lot of gas, even rounding up to the nearest quarter. Now, once it clicks off, I just stop...I don't mess around with rounding anymore. I've actually been to a pump or two that'll click off after it overflows.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, which is the reason I stand there and hold the trigger now. Granted most stations around here have taken off the little clips that will hold it open due to "accidents" (seriously how freakin hard is it to NOT drive off with the gas still being pumped into your car?) but I have had one case where it came right out of the tank and spilled down the side before it clicked off. If that happens best thing to do is grab the window cleaner things and let the window wash dribble off of the scrubber onto the paint where the gas went (don't scrub, you'll scratch the paint). Then go inside get a bottle of water and rinse off that spot, don't leave the gas on there.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:48 AM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

Yeah I can't say I've had that problem but then again I don't top off my tanks... on every gas tank I've ever seen they always have a little warning that says "do not top off"... I geuss they finally got tired of people not listenin and tried to teach you guys a lesson [sm=owned.gif][sm=laughat.gif]... :-P...

Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I never did it to "top off", I'd just put in a little bit more to round it off to the nearest quarter or so. I hate getting pennies back as change.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

Same here, once it clicks it is pretty much full.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 AM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

Eh I know what cha mean about pennies... but now I just use a Credit Card with like a couple percent back on gas purchases and I just pay the card off everymonth... saves me from getting pennies plus I slowly rack up money back... :-D

Old 07-18-2007, 11:39 AM
OneBadKota
All Star

With the newer vehicles, the click is all you want. It needs to have some free space for back pressure to send the fuel through. I know on my car it willturn the check engine light on because of that. I've heard in some cases it could cause less gas mileage.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

ORIGINAL: OneBadKota

With the newer vehicles, the click is all you want. It needs to have some free space for back pressure to send the fuel through. I know on my car it willturn the check engine light on because of that. I've heard in some cases it could cause less gas mileage.
My wife's Accord is like that. When we got it the dealer warned us to not 'top it off' as they were getting lots of Accords in the shop because of the CEL and that was the culprit...

Old 07-18-2007, 12:37 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

Hmm...never knew that. Outside of one or two times, I've never topped off this truck because it always spills over...but I never knew it could cause problems.

Quick Reply: Dumb Fill up question.