3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

muggy smell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:11 AM
utexasrick
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muggy smell?

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but whenever I go into my truck and it has been sitting for around 1-2 hours or more it smells as if there was something wet left inside. The smell isn't too strong just noticable,it doesn't matter what weather, but lately its been raining so its a little worse. The smell goes away after a couple min once the ac is running. what could be causing this problem? I checked to see if the carpet is wet but its not, and everything seems dry. The only time I can remember of water getting inside was once I took it through a car wash and for so reason a little bit of water started to drip from around the steering wheel which seemed kind of odd. other than that I don't know. I just got the truck about 2 months ago and have had this problem ever since.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:28 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: muggy smell?

it might be mold/mildew in the ac vents. try turning on the defroster and spraying some 'linen scent lysol' into the cowl area beside passenger side wiper. regardless of what it is, this will make it smell better.

also look for the ac drain tube on the firewall and clean it out and check the seal at the firewall. on a ram its beside the pcm, and if theres a crack in the seal, the drainage will seep back an drip on passenger side carpet. that can be fixed by attaching drain hose or sealer. someone posted attaching a hose and funnel and pouring in bleach. i've never done that but it sounded good.

water dripping inside is NOT GOOD. could also be leaky windshield or third brake light.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:55 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my truck stinks. being a blue collar worker and sweating at work then getting in the truck is not good. once a week i have to frebreeze the interior towards the end of the week it gets bad. but this seems to do the trick.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:09 PM
texasbluedak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

texasrick

Must be a Texas thing. I have the exact same problem. Ask the dealer and he said its because of the humidity. Don't know why, but it is better in the winter than summer. I hardly noticed it this winter at all and just yesterday I got in and could smell it really bad. I replaced the air filter but that didn't change a thing. I do have a leak in my Dak. If I park on slope (like my driveway) everytime it rains it literally fills up my floor board mat with water. It is coming inside from somewhere by the passenger side hood seam. I've looked under the hood but I can't see it. I think its somewhere under the plastic where the windshield wiper is.

Quick Reply: muggy smell?