3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:17 PM
luvmydak
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spark Plugs

Exchange for copper, trust me.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:31 PM
02wrangler
Professional

Are the 3923's already gaped for our trucks, or do we need to gap them? If so what do we gap them to?

Old 11-25-2007, 02:29 PM
luvmydak
Veteran

Recommendation for 3.7 is .035. Believe it is same for v8. If I am wrong about the v8 somebody chime in.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Mahadigus
Rookie

v8 gap is .040

Old 11-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gapSpecs.jpg

Old 11-26-2007, 08:37 AM
mb18
Record Breaker

I finally got around to changing the plugs on mine on Friday and, wow, what a difference. Fuel economy seems to have gone up a mile or two (will verify tonight when I fill up and can hand calculate the MPGs) and the truck runs much, much smoother. Amazing change for $10.50 and an hour or so of work.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:17 PM
pack154
Professional

I changed mine two weeks ago with the 3923's and it does make a difference!!!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 03:15 AM
ChadJK

Does anyone index their plugs? Is there any real performance increase from doing so?

For those who don't know what spark plug indexing is (I didn't and had to look it up):

Generally speaking, the idea of indexing is to position the spark plug so that its gap is facing the center of the cylinder, angled slightly toward the exhaust valve—the most common arrangement. (Some engines work better with other gap locations.) This is important because, as the piston approaches TDC, the air/fuel charge is being compressed. The charge or "mixture" is being forced toward the area of the spark plug—and normally, the exhaust valve. The true speed of this force inside the combustion chamber is extremely fast. Some experts speculate that it surpasses supersonic speeds.

Because of this, the spark generated from the plug should be in a "position" to create the best possible flame front. Looking at a typical side-gap spark plug, you'll note that the electrode can actually block the flame process. On the other hand, if the electrode gap faces the on-rushing air/fuel charge, it stands a much better chance of igniting a flame front.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Racinartist
All Star

ORIGINAL: ChadJK

Does anyone index their plugs? Is there any real performance increase from doing so?

For those who don't know what spark plug indexing is (I didn't and had to look it up):

Generally speaking, the idea of indexing is to position the spark plug so that its gap is facing the center of the cylinder, angled slightly toward the exhaust valve—the most common arrangement. (Some engines work better with other gap locations.) This is important because, as the piston approaches TDC, the air/fuel charge is being compressed. The charge or "mixture" is being forced toward the area of the spark plug—and normally, the exhaust valve. The true speed of this force inside the combustion chamber is extremely fast. Some experts speculate that it surpasses supersonic speeds.

Because of this, the spark generated from the plug should be in a "position" to create the best possible flame front. Looking at a typical side-gap spark plug, you'll note that the electrode can actually block the flame process. On the other hand, if the electrode gap faces the on-rushing air/fuel charge, it stands a much better chance of igniting a flame front.
For as much of a p.i.t.a as it would be with the plug location on our OHC engine, I wouldn't go through the trouble for the minimal (if any) gain you would get.

Man, those plugs are in there deep. [sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 12-03-2007, 08:48 PM
kingsaffey
Professional

i have a question why do the service advisor at dodge swear that the autolites doesnt run good with our engine bc the computer is tuned with the champion spark plugs or something like that what this dude said. but everyone who has them saying they're great

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs