3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

cams

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:07 PM
pro4x4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cams

Just was browsing the Krc website and was looking at the cam kit for our trucks. Those of you who did this mod maybe you could tell me something. Where would I go to get them installed or is it something that I could tackle?I know the dealer probably wouldn't do it or would charge a fortune for it.Why is the pcm flash so expensive? Do they give you a new pcm or reprogram the one you have? After reading the information on the krc site I may be interested in doing this when the funds become avaliable.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: cams

yea baby, all i can say is get the new 212 cams. forget the 206. soon as i get the funds, my 206 cams are coming out and the 212 are going in.by far the best bang for the buck. you can install them yourself but it will take a long weekend if you are not mech. inclined. i had a pro shop do mine for 400.00 and it took them about 5.5 hours. but i wanted it done the correct way. most shops wont touch the overhead cam in a v-8. you may need to go to a ricer shop that deals in overhead cams. they would know how to do it. flashing is a process that alters the fuel curves for the cams. if you dont get the flash , you will still benifit from the cams but not to the full potential.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

I hate you both[:@][:@][:@] never knew of KRC PERFORMANCE ONLINE....now Im gonna spend more money. I like the 212 cams and especially the paxton supercharger...Nice thing is, I am a diesel mechanic so I can do the work myself.

Would that rear disk conversion kit work for us also?

Old 07-24-2007, 10:35 PM
superdak05
Champion

it would but go to www.ssbc.com for the conversion kit. it is stainless steel brake company

Old 07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
RealityCheck
Rookie

ORIGINAL: superdak05

yea baby, all i can say is get the new 212 cams. forget the 206. soon as i get the funds, my 206 cams are coming out and the 212 are going in.by far the best bang for the buck. you can install them yourself but it will take a long weekend if you are not mech. inclined. i had a pro shop do mine for 400.00 and it took them about 5.5 hours. but i wanted it done the correct way. most shops wont touch the overhead cam in a v-8. you may need to go to a ricer shop that deals in overhead cams. they would know how to do it. flashing is a process that alters the fuel curves for the cams. if you dont get the flash , you will still benifit from the cams but not to the full potential.
According to the KRC website theyonly offer aPCM reflash for the 4.7 through the 2002 model year.Does anyone flash 2003+ 4.7 PCMs? Also, I had areflashed PCM in another car and it was a lot more than altered fuel curves - it raised the shift points and tranny kick down logic, raised the rev limiter (a must for a hotter cam), defeated the torque management programming, increased tranny line pressure during shifts, made the knock retard programming less aggressive, more aggressive ignition timing, suppressed some OBD II codes, got rid of the top speed governor, etc. $500 seems like a lot for a PCM reflash that only alters the fuel curves. I'd would also like to see more detailed specs on KRC's cams - the info on the website is a little sparse. The picture shows a Crane Cams CompuCam box - maybe these cams are cheaper directly from Crane?

Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 PM
superdak05
Champion

i really did not go into detail on the flash. you are correct about what it does. if you go to the krc website and look at the dyno shts and pulls you will see were there gain are. they do not make the cams they test and tune them and have a outside source tweak them.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:52 PM
superdak05
Champion

i believe krc holds the patend for the cams and must pay the price they are asking. not to sure but when i went on crane cams website i did not see any info on these cams

Old 07-25-2007, 01:31 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: superdak05

i believe krc holds the patend for the cams and must pay the price they are asking. not to sure but when i went on crane cams website i did not see any info on these cams
Check with Dan at Fastman. He carries them too.

According to the KRC website theyonly offer aPCM reflash for the 4.7 through the 2002 model year.Does anyone flash 2003+ 4.7 PCMs?
KRC does do the reflashing for our engines. I had talked to them in the past about it, but so does FastMan. It'll cost you about $400.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:55 PM
pro4x4
Veteran

How about gas mileage with new cams. So far the last 2 weeks I'm getting between 15.2 and 16 miles per gallon and don't want to mess that up. So would the 206 cams be better for that?

Quick Reply: cams