3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:19 PM
texasbluedak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control

I've got the plain old ST model, but my steering wheel has the two black blanks for CC on it. You guys were saying in another post that all the dakotas come prewired for the overhead console, is that the same for the CC? Buddy of mine has an 06' that they are going to total out, but it has an intact steering wheel with CC. Is it as simple as popping off the caps on mine and plugging in the CC from the other?? Thanks!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cruise Control

In most vehicles there is also a cruise control module under the dash and you may need to have the dealer enable it in the CAN-BUS system but if you get the module and buttons you should be good.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

3.7L/4.7L Engine
The speed control system is operated by the use of a cable and a vacuum controlled servo. Electronic control of the
speed control system is integrated into the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The controls consist of two steering
wheel mounted switches. The switches are labeled: ON/OFF, RES/ACCEL, SET, COAST, and CANCEL.
The system is designed to operate at speeds above 30 mph (50 km/h).
Ok so there appear to be four pieces you will need (not sure if any are already on your truck, except the PCM of course) The Speed Control Cable, the Speed Control Servo, the Vacuum Reservoir (I'm gonna guess you already have this but it doesn't hurt to check, you might not), and the Switches. I'll see if I can take a few screenshots of the removal instructions in the service manual. Give me a minute here.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Ok here we go.

Speed Control Cable:

Speed Control Servo:

Speed Control Switches:

Vacuum Reservoir:

Old 07-30-2007, 11:59 PM
texasbluedak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Altair

Thanks man for the awesome illustrations. As far as I can tell, and I'm not real forsure at all since I don't really know where all to look, but it looks as though its all there. I missed out on the truck though A guy came and bought the whole truck!! So I will have to keep looking for another. If someone else has tried this or knows 100% please let me know. Once again, thanks. You guys knowledge of our trucks amazes me!!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:15 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

Heh, that's not really my knowledge so much as dodges but no prob for the images. They're all out of the factory service manual that you can download, there's a sticky for it at the top of our forum.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:21 AM
Frenchy
Banned

So, in theory... we'd have to take our entire steering wheel off, to take those surrounds, around the CC off???

Dang, I wanna paint mine silver...

Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

ORIGINAL: Frenchy

So, in theory... we'd have to take our entire steering wheel off, to take those surrounds, around the CC off???

Dang, I wanna paint mine silver...
You talkin about the column where the gear selector (for autos) and blinker stalk is? If it's like the rams you can take those off very easily, they come off in 2 pieces like a clamshell.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control