3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Firestone air bags Work Great!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 03:57 PM
skikir
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestone air bags Work Great!

I got to test Firestone air bag helper springsI put in a couple of weeks ago. You know every now and then you get a product that acutally works the way you imagined they way it should. They are great! I put my camper on which weighs about 1400lbs. Not only do they handle the load with out bottoming out like I was but they improve the handling and the sway too. Now when I go across a dip or rise in the road I get a little smile because it sails straight through nice and soft like floating. Now I need some more aggressive and larger tires to get farther off road. We've allways been a back packers but now the wifes knees are begining to bother herand it's getting harder to get her out camping so I bought the camper. Last weekend we went up to the high lakes highway at about 4900 feet and I was acutally quiet pleased with the handling and rideand power still available from the little V6 at that altitude.We stopped at a camp ground. God, I hope I never have to do that again. OK I expected the screaming kids because it's a family activity (we're DINKs-Duel Income No Kids.) But even though we were a couple hundred yards off the road you could still hear the loud pipe Hardlys and arrogant idiots in their mufflerless pickups"shareing thier carma"from miles away! You know, sitting there relaxing staring into the campfire with a good Belgain Ale when every 15 minutes some jerk drives by in thier garbage truck or rice burner civic withone of thosefart canson their tailpipe or a gaggle of bikes that sound like Massey Ferguson tracktors with rotted out mufflers.Not what I want when I'm looking for a little peace and quiet. Makes me want to stuff up their tail pipes with a magazine from my AK47!

Old 07-31-2007, 04:19 PM
mikey111k
Rookie
Default RE: Firestone air bags Work Great!

Thats good to hear that they work well. It is really nice when a product works like they say it will. How hard was the installation and how much did it cost you in total? I also understand what your saying about trying to relax and enjoy the outdoors and being interupted, it is really annoying.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:31 PM
skikir

They cost about $230 delivered. It would probably take two hours if you don't phart around.Only thing difficult is drilling the 3/8" holes but w/ a good drill & a sharp bit it's no big deal.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:29 AM
herkguy
Veteran

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Sounds like a good investment, I just hauled 1320lbs of bricks in mine and it sat down 3 inches from normal in back. Do you have any pics with the camper on using the shocks? What PSI are you using daily and then when loaded? Oh and do you have any pics of the instal, this would be great for the DIY

Old 08-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Dusty
Professional

I'll definatly be getting these. I haul an enclosed trailer with the race car/tools/spare parts inside. BIG load.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:32 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

There are on my list here pretty soon too. I just towed the church's 16 foot enclosed trailer with about 5000 pounds in sound gear up to the Pocono's...it was sagging pretty bad and the ride was rather exciting at points....it did alright, but I definitely want to upgrade the springs before next year.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:22 AM
RealityCheck
Rookie

I installed the Firestone airbags on my 2006 4X4 a few weeks ago and I am also very happy with the results. The only points of concern are the inaccurate installation instructions and the fact that even with the minimum required amount of air pressure (10psi) the rear of the truck is higher than stock. Also, you can't use lowering shackles because the static air bag heightwill beless than specified by the instructions.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:11 PM
WIZARD

anybody that have the firestone or the air lifts have any pics?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:56 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have some pics they can post of the air bags they've installed?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:36 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by biker_ahoy
Anyone have some pics they can post of the air bags they've installed?

Quick Reply: Firestone air bags Work Great!