3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Change to LED's

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Night_Runner
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Change to LED's

The only way I wouldnt switch is if the aftermarket headlights from spyder look good, and wont let me use HID... and thats the only reason...
you dont have to have projectors to use hid kits. and i know of a few places with hid kits

Old 10-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Night_Runner

The only way I wouldnt switch is if the aftermarket headlights from spyder look good, and wont let me use HID... and thats the only reason...
you dont have to have projectors to use hid kits. and i know of a few places with hid kits
You will get better results with projectors though, less glare for other drivers and that clean cut-off line.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

ORIGINAL: Altair

ORIGINAL: Night_Runner

You will get better results with projectors though, less glare for other drivers and that clean cut-off line.
maybe im mean, but i dont really care about other drivers glare lol. my main concern is what i can see from my drivers seat. and about the cut off line, it looks cool, but maybe im in the minority, but imo i dont like it as much because its like you cant see anything untill BAM its directly in your light path. thats just me though. plus i dont like the look of 99.9% of the projector lenses out there. get one that looks like my factory headlamps and i MIGHT be interested.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

I'll agree with you projector lenses look odd sometimes (usually because they're the fast and furious type sold on ebay) and about the cutoff line but honestly, my last car had projector headlamps stock. The light output on those with a very low car and regular 9004 bulbs beat the crap out of my Dak's light output from higher up with 9008's. Personally I much prefer the light distribution of the projectors, all the light is focused in the areas you want it and none is wasted illuminating way off to the sides or upwards. I'm kind of mean about caring about other drivers glare also but keep in mind that with more glare you are far more likely to be pulled over as aftermarket HID's are frowned upon in most states.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:28 PM
kevincad

ORIGINAL: jimboscomp

yes, for the exterior. You will need the following lights. They come in pairs. The list is hyperlinked to the correct bulbs that you need to do the switch. You also need to buy 6 (3 pairs) of the 25ohm load resistors in order for the tail, parking, and reverse lights to work correctly.

Exterior:
3157 Red LED Tail Lights
3157 Yellow LED Parking Lights
3157 White LED Backup/Reverse Lights
921 - Cargo and 3rd Brake Light (buy 2 pairs, both white, no load resistors needed)
194 - License Plate Lights
LOAD RESISTORS
And if you have the stock fog lights kit you will either need H10 or 9006. You will need to check which model you have before purchasing.

Interior:
2005 Dakotas:
194 Flank bulbs (your choice of colors) - Front Dome Lights
42mm Festoon bulb - Rear Dome Light

2006+ Dakotas:
33mm Festoon bulbs (buy 2) - Front Dome Lights
What are the load resistors for? Is it so that the computer won't think there's a bulb out? Do you need a resistor for each bulb?

Old 10-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

ORIGINAL: Altair

I'll agree with you projector lenses look odd sometimes (usually because they're the fast and furious type sold on ebay) and about the cutoff line but honestly, my last car had projector headlamps stock. The light output on those with a very low car and regular 9004 bulbs beat the crap out of my Dak's light output from higher up with 9008's. Personally I much prefer the light distribution of the projectors, all the light is focused in the areas you want it and none is wasted illuminating way off to the sides or upwards. I'm kind of mean about caring about other drivers glare also but keep in mind that with more glare you are far more likely to be pulled over as aftermarket HID's are frowned upon in most states.
remember though, hids are starting to come as a option from the factories more and more everyday. my moms new mustang gt/cs came with them. i would get 4300-6000 in the color range. that is mostly white. i would also NOT buy a single beam kit because i want to retain the function of my high beams. now, how is a cop gunna know, that a car with lows and highs with a stock housing, with a bulb in that color range is not stock without gettin under the hood and tracing the wireing. maybe its me, but i dont think (at least not here in ok) that hids are that big of an issue.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

ORIGINAL: kevincad

ORIGINAL: jimboscomp

yes, for the exterior. You will need the following lights. They come in pairs. The list is hyperlinked to the correct bulbs that you need to do the switch. You also need to buy 6 (3 pairs) of the 25ohm load resistors in order for the tail, parking, and reverse lights to work correctly.

Exterior:
3157 Red LED Tail Lights
3157 Yellow LED Parking Lights
3157 White LED Backup/Reverse Lights
921 - Cargo and 3rd Brake Light (buy 2 pairs, both white, no load resistors needed)
194 - License Plate Lights
LOAD RESISTORS
And if you have the stock fog lights kit you will either need H10 or 9006. You will need to check which model you have before purchasing.

Interior:
2005 Dakotas:
194 Flank bulbs (your choice of colors) - Front Dome Lights

2006+ Dakotas:
33mm Festoon bulbs (buy 2) - Front Dome Lights
What are the load resistors for? Is it so that the computer won't think there's a bulb out? Do you need a resistor for each bulb?
the load resistors are for our turn signals....and fyi, it is stated in the quote you quoted that load resistors are needed for the reverse lights. that is NOT true...i have them, with no load resistors and they work 100% great. have had them since mid summer

Old 10-24-2007, 04:35 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: kevincad

The load resister helps the turn signal blink at the correct speed. Without, it blinks so fast you can barely see it. You don't need one for each bulb...just the ones that need to blink, which are your front turn signals and your rear taillights/turn signals.

My question: I talked to a guy (friend of mine) who claims the SilverStars are illegal in PA because of the blueish coloring to them. Does anyone know if this is true? I'd like to upgrade, but also don't have the money to pay off any police citations.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

I think it's a bigger deal in some states than others, here in NY I got pulled over with my teg for having headlights that were too yellow (they were the ones designed for better vision in rain and fog). I tried explaining to the officer that they reduce glare and help you see better but he was too stupid to realize they were not an issue...

Quick Reply: Change to LED's