3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear ends

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Rear ends

The torque converter isa large round drum inbetween the engine and transmission. It takes the place of a cluch. A lock up TC will Lock up when your on the freeway. It reduses the slipage that accures. It Improve gas milege. My guess is that the LD does meen Limited slip Differential. a Limited slip is not a full locker. It has cluches inside the diff. to simi lock up the axles. like the name says limited slip, the cluches will let go when it needs to. It is posible your cluches are worn out. The best way to check is if you lift both rear tires off the ground. then rotate one wheel. if the other tire rotates the oposite way you have an open diff. which is no locker or limited slip diff. If they rotate the same way you have a limited slip Diff. but the cluches are bad. I dont know if it was an option but most trucks when they come with a full locker from factory. It will only lock the axles together when the 4wd is in low gear.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:12 PM
supercrazy dak77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay, well i have just purchased the truck used w/ aprox 21k on it currently i have both the bumper and the power trans remaining am i looking at warrenty work or am i looking at a prev owner who had the truck and would have been nicer to it running it into a concrete wall.[sm=wtf.gif]

Old 09-04-2007, 08:49 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad he asked that question. It gives me a pretty good idea as to what to look for in my next Dak.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay supercrazy dak77I dont know what you meen BY "currently i have both the bumper and the power trans remaining" But first" The best way to check is if you lift both rear tires off the ground. then rotate one wheel. if the other tire rotates the oposite way you have an open diff. which is no locker or limited slip diff." CHECK IT!!!!! if the cluches are bad the wheel will still rotate the same direction. CHECK FIRST.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Ryan2008

Okay, you can all call me an idiot if I'm wrong....

I thought that if you lift both rear wheels off the ground and spin one tire by hand the other tire should spin the opposite direction if you have an open differential or a Limited Slip Differential. The only reason both tires would spin the same way is if the differential is completely locked. I don't believe that spinning one tire by hand would be enough differential / slipping between axles to cause a limited slip to start to transfer torque.... am I completely wrong? I've never seen both wheels travel the same direction with a limited slip differential and someone turning a wheel by hand.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:56 PM
V8MANual
Captain

LD probably means light duty. My '05 w/limited slip stated LSD on the window sticker; it's an extra cost option.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:57 PM
djsilver
Professional

I don't know what LD stands for but it's not "limited slip differential" and my 9.25" LD is an open diff. As far as "corporate" axles are concerned, the 9.25" is considered the "corporate" axle even though they're built by Dana or American Axle and Chrysler has been using it since the mid-60's. The corporate comes as either open or limited slip (trac-lock) according to the options on the truck. The trac-lock has enough pre-load that it would spin both tires in the same direction on the test mentioned. The FSM test specifies between 30-200 ft/lbs to breakaway as OK. I've found on other websites that a good trac-lock should have 120-180 ft/lbs of pre-load. To test pre-load, jack up one rear wheel and leave the other on the ground. Then use a torque wrench to measure how much force it takes to rotate the elevated tire.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:19 AM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok dj, i'm impressed. i know that the only way you can make one tire spin is that you don't have lsd or it's worn out or broken. Broken spider gears make noise and LSDs wear out at about 50k so i've heard.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rookie

ok dj, i'm impressed. i know that the only way you can make one tire spin is that you don't have lsd or it's worn out or broken. Broken spider gears make noise and LSDs wear out at about 50k so i've heard.
The LSD on my 95 Z71 with 150k+ on it still worked fine when I had it, "tested" it many times (gotta love the empty lot behind my local movie theater).

Old 02-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Ryan2008

Okay, I understand a little better now....

You're saying that there is a pre-load holding the axles together, and that a certain amount of slip is only permitted if there is enough force to over-power the pre-load. Should I assume that too much force, or rather, too much differential in axle speeds would cause the plates / clutches to bind against each other and transfer power to the wheel with grip.

Quick Reply: Rear ends