3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

loud clank/clunk from rear end after the truck is shut off

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:44 PM
teva_feet
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud clank/clunk from rear end after the truck is shut off

My '07 Dak makes a very loud clank/clunk from the rear end 5 minutes or so after its been shut off. I'll try to capture the noise and find a place to host it so I can provide a link but it sounds like someone's taking a hammer to the drive shaft, brake rotor or other large piece of metal. There's no noise, vibration or shimmy when you start the truck or are driving so I don't think its anything mechanical. Its almost as though there's a part that when it cools after driving it pops back into place.

Done it from day one and the dealer hasn't got a clue without tearing crap apart and I don't have time to be without my truck.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:05 PM
pack154
Professional
Default RE: loud clank/clunk from rear end after the truck is shut off

I would definately have the dealership take a look at it and also have them supply you with a loaner vehicle/truck while they figure out what's going on with your truck. The warranty covers all of it, including the loaner. A new vehicle/truck shouldn't have that type of sound so have them fix it under warranty.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:32 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

start using your emergency brake and see if stops. sounds like the rear shoe is hanging up and when the tension feels like letting go it just pops. and if you use the e-brake and the shoe gets hung up, there is a recall.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:01 AM
bkjtimp
Veteran

That's a very good thought there, SuperDak. That's most likely it.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:20 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

My does that once in awhile. My 06 did it all the time. If it’s the same noise like a hammer, banging on the exhaust than it’s the same. The exhaust contracting on the cool down. Have you laid under the truck and waited for the noise? I did and found it was the exhaust and it clangs loud twice.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:15 PM
teva_feet
Professional

ORIGINAL: pack154

I would definately have the dealership take a look at it and also have them supply you with a loaner vehicle/truck while they figure out what's going on with your truck. The warranty covers all of it, including the loaner. A new vehicle/truck shouldn't have that type of sound so have them fix it under warranty.

ORIGINAL: ericemery

yeah, That is something that I would let them deal with... anything like that needs to be addressed under warranty, so you can fight back with lemon law if need be. the warranty work provides proof of problems.
I'll see what they can provide for a loaner but there's so much crap I haul around for my job and extracurricular activities that moving from one vehicle to another is a royal pain in the ***

ORIGINAL: superdak05

start using your emergency brake and see if stops. sounds like the rear shoe is hanging up and when the tension feels like letting go it just pops. and if you use the e-brake and the shoe gets hung up, there is a recall.
Thats an interesting suggestion and will give it a shot. Since I got the truck in April I think I've used the emerg brake a half dozen times so that could be it.

ORIGINAL: graythang

My does that once in awhile. My 06 did it all the time. If it’s the same noise like a hammer, banging on the exhaust than it’s the same. The exhaust contracting on the cool down. Have you laid under the truck and waited for the noise? I did and found it was the exhaust and it clangs loud twice.
Haven't been under the truck to isolate the sound yet.....frankly I have the attention span of a fruit fly and would likely be distracted by something while waiting for the noise and then when it did "go off" I'd prob crap my pants and bang my head

Old 10-14-2007, 11:41 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ha, video tape yourself underneath while waiting so we can all get a good laugh out of it thanks

Quick Reply: loud clank/clunk from rear end after the truck is shut off