3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Jet chip problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Dusty
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jet chip problems

Said this before about Jet, I'll repeat one more time. On neons . org someone actually dynoed their car back to back, the chip being the ONLY mod. There was no change in dynos whatsoever. They contacted JET and they said maybe you have a faulty chip, and sent them a new one. This time the car actually lost power with the chip. Why? Because Jet decided they could simply dump some more fuel into the car and it'll make more power. The a/f ratio was insanely rich. This induced a power drop. Jet lost their business with most of the neon community from there on out. And I'm about certain this isn't the only car they sell chips to that don't make a difference at all.

So yes, have your truck dynoed that day you are ready to install the chip. Install the chip there and dyno it again. Make sure the engine is at the same operating temp both times. ALSO, do not install the 180 thermostat. This is probably the trick they use to make you think you have more power, which you probably do. 180 coolant temp will result in more advanced ignition timing, thus more power. (at the expense of wearing the hell out of your motor)

Old 12-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Dusty

Said this before about Jet, I'll repeat one more time. On neons . org someone actually dynoed their car back to back, the chip being the ONLY mod. There was no change in dynos whatsoever. They contacted JET and they said maybe you have a faulty chip, and sent them a new one. This time the car actually lost power with the chip. Why? Because Jet decided they could simply dump some more fuel into the car and it'll make more power. The a/f ratio was insanely rich. This induced a power drop. Jet lost their business with most of the neon community from there on out. And I'm about certain this isn't the only car they sell chips to that don't make a difference at all.

So yes, have your truck dynoed that day you are ready to install the chip. Install the chip there and dyno it again. Make sure the engine is at the same operating temp both times. ALSO, do not install the 180 thermostat. This is probably the trick they use to make you think you have more power, which you probably do. 180 coolant temp will result in more advanced ignition timing, thus more power. (at the expense of wearing the hell out of your motor)
It is the Neon owner's fault because anyone that owns a neon knows that NO kind of chip works on them...

Old 12-30-2007, 07:33 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

first off your 6 banger is not putting 240 to the rear wheels. i have quite the few mods on my 4.7 and only getting max 250 to the wheels. so that seems far fetched.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31284/86C0FB8D1E0B49B3B8E1E22A15911F8E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-31-2007, 10:43 AM
Dusty
Professional

umm..It's a piggyback "chip" just like for the Dakota....

Mopar and AFX reflashed pcms work great in neons...

Old 12-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

I know the AFX and Mopar performance pcm's work great, but piggy back chips do NOTHING in neons, it is a known fact.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:32 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

i think the chip was worthless paying 200 dollars i could have spent it on alot better things

Old 01-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Dusty
Professional

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

I know the AFX and Mopar performance pcm's work great, but piggy back chips do NOTHING in neons, it is a known fact.
So if they do nothing in cars that are easy to ridicule the software, why should we assume these chips work in anything else?[&:]

Old 01-02-2008, 08:26 AM
rick4dak
Veteran

It sounds to me like there is a lot of inconsistency when using the Jet chips. I have a Stage 1 that I bought from someone on this forum and it did make a difference. Better performance and I still get around 17 mpg in all-city driving. My Dak is an 05 4x2 with 4.7 and auto. My wife even commented that it drives 'like it isn't so fat'. It still doesn't perform as well as my 02 4.7 did but I think that's because of the slushy auto trans in the 05.The chipwas worth the $100 that I paid but if the price were any higher, I'd probably changethat opinion.

Quick Reply: Jet chip problems