3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Engine noise on startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:00 PM
El Capitan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine noise on startup

I have the same problem with my 05 v6....but I noticed that it does not happen when the weather gets real cold (below freezing).

Seems to me that we are running oil that is too thin (5W 30)....when it is warm outside, the oil all drips back to the pan and that is what causes the clackety clack on startup. Try running 10W 30 instead, maybe it will be better.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:22 PM
coder33404
Rookie

They identified my issue as rod knock. It does sound like a head problem but they ruled that out completely. It would have been a lot easier and cheaper for them to just replace the heads so if it was that they would have gone that route. Never gets below 50 outside here in southern California so my truck has never experienced really cold conditions.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:44 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: El Capitan

I have the same problem with my 05 v6....but I noticed that it does not happen when the weather gets real cold (below freezing).

Seems to me that we are running oil that is too thin (5W 30)....when it is warm outside, the oil all drips back to the pan and that is what causes the clackety clack on startup. Try running 10W 30 instead, maybe it will be better.
I don't think the oil has much to do with it. I don't have the HO but I switched to Amsoil 0W 30 about halfway through the summer and have had no noise like this at all (I checked after I saw this thread).

Old 11-06-2007, 06:10 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Can we say valve lash adjusters? The problem was already identified and it’s the valve lash adjusters. Changing them won't fix them because there are major tolerances thatare off in some engines. Bad builds or lot runs. They are also having problems with the 08 4.7 in the same way. Can't get them out the door right.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:59 AM
coder33404
Rookie

Valve lash adjusters were ruled out in my case. It was rod knock. Valve lash adjusters was the first thing I told them and the first thing they checked. They found issues in the Dodge database of repairs "something like that" that showed the possibility of rod knock so they tested that and found two that were a problem. Besides that, someone else on this forum went all through that and after replacing most of that stuff "as I recall" still had the problem. I followed that thread and never saw were he got it completely resolved. Arent the 08's the same motor with more tweaks to get the power up?

Old 11-06-2007, 08:55 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Yes they are the same motor but with newly designed internal parts including the valve lash system. The crank, rod and pistons are also new and lighter to reduce bottom end harmonics. Problem is they are having problems with the engine from the get go.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:59 PM
coder33404
Rookie

Makes sense from my view in Southern California because there are no 08 V8 daks at the dealers. I have looked a a bunch of them at two dealers all were V6's. Dealers say they havent seen any V8's either.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:13 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

You know the 4.7 by design has the makings of a great engine. It has a ton of potential. It could be a mini Hemi with just a head and piston tweak. If it were to have a super charger, it would be 350 hp + engine. WTS Dodge just can't get it right. I don't know what happing at the engine plant but it would seem it's time for new management.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 PM
nowick
Professional

ok they said that the noise is normal, I am going to have them start another one on the lot to make sure it makes the same noise to ensure that i am just crazy and the noise is 100 percent normal. they still have my airbag light to fight and they still insist thats its the navi doing it, well they installed it so whats the problem just fix it. it makes me feel good when the guy working on thetruck said" well you would be ok its the passangers that would get hurt" well thats when i couldnt take it anymore, so i replyed I hopes it you in that seat if it doesnt go off in crash. he shut up and said he will get to the bottom of it. some professionals they got at this dealer. this is the sixth attempt to get the damn light to function correctly. I have lost complete faith in dodge. I know its just a light and should not worry about it but i do, and i would feel better if i knew my airbag was working correct. ok i am vented now. ahhh

Old 11-07-2007, 08:39 PM
herkguy
Veteran

Whats wrong with the airbag light?

Quick Reply: Engine noise on startup