3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Airbag Indicator lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Lil Blue322
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airbag Indicator lights

also when the truck goes through its phases of the lights coming on and off, the period where the lights are off for awhile, I will driving and they will randomly come back on.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 AM
bkjtimp
Veteran

and they will randomly come back on.
Meaning ALL the dash MIL lights come back on or just the airbag light(s) come back on?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Lil Blue322
Veteran

ORIGINAL: bkjtimp

Meaning ALL the dash MIL lights come back on or just the airbag light(s) come back on?
just the airbag lights, the one is the center dash yellow light telling me the passenger side airback is off, then the other light is the red airbag light thats in the dash in front of me next to my speedometer.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:15 PM
teva_feet
Professional

ORIGINAL: ericemery

The only thing I can think of that would cause this would be where the installer pulled the switched power from. (since its controlled by the can you have to go to a different location for that power source.)

That could likely be the cause since the first deck install could best be described as crap on a stick. The installer was a frickin clown and while I don't expect someone to be as **** retentive as I am with keeping cable bundles neat, heat shrinking or soldering where possible, cable ties/loom, tc. this was just digusting. Bare wire where he forgot to tape, broken retention clip on the heater and 4x4 selector switches and other suspect work. Don't think it was my install alone but probably the straw that broke the camel's back but he was fired a couple of days after the other tech (also his manager) saw the work.

As for the issue at hand I did come up with the following from the Dodge Dakota service manual that shows how he airbag system is integrated to other components:
The horn switch is molded into the driver airbag cover. The horn switch can not be serviced separately (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/DRIVER AIRBAG - DESCRIPTION).

WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTRO-MECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE, REMOVE OR INSTALL THE AIRBAG SYSTEM COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE. FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT OF THE AIRBAG AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY. THE FASTENERS, SCREWS, AND BOLTS, ORIGINALLY USED FOR THE AIRBAG COMPONENTS, HAVE SPECIAL COATINGS AND ARE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. THEY MUST NEVER BE REPLACED WITH ANY SUBSTITUTES. ANYTIME A NEW FASTENER IS NEEDED, REPLACE WITH THE CORRECT FASTENERS PROVIDED IN THE SERVICE PACKAGE OR FASTENERS LISTED IN THE PARTS BOOKS.

Possible Causes
PASSENGER SEAT HARNESS IMPROPERLY ROUTED
PASSENGER SEAT HARNESS WIRES CHAFFED, PIERCED, PINCHED, PARTIALLY BROKEN
PASSENGER SEAT HARNESS CONNECTOR TERMINALS BROKEN, BENT PUSHED OUT, SPREAD,
CORRODED, CONTAMINATED
R705) LT-RR SEAT WEIGHT SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
R705) LT-RR SEAT WEIGHT SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
R701) SEAT WEIGHT SENSOR 5 VOLT CIRCUIT OPEN
LEFT-REAR SEAT WEIGHT SENSOR
OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION MODULE (OCM)

Old 10-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Lil Blue322
Veteran

thanx teva_feet...i will be looking into it more

Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 PM
teva_feet
Professional

welcome.....other thing I forgot to mention is that if you go with the Metra version of the interface module it has outputs for reverse light, park brake/sensor....you'll need these if you install a DVD, nav and/or rear view camera

Old 10-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: teva_feet

welcome.....other thing I forgot to mention is that if you go with the Metra version of the interface module it has outputs for reverse light, park brake/sensor....you'll need these if you install a DVD, nav and/or rear view camera
Oh comeon, who actually hooks up the park brake sensor for DVD/nav

Old 10-23-2007, 07:37 PM
patman0323
Professional

hey eric where did you pull your switched power from? cuz i had a pretty large system in my truck for about 6 months or so and everything was fine till sunday. my airbag lights came on and stayed one. i pulled the radio and disconnected the power wire for the amp. after i disconnected everything the lights went out and have been out since. if you could let me know. thanks

Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

FYI...

My 2005 Quad was bought back by Chrysler/lemoned due to this same issue... I had constant issues with the passenger airbag light illuminating, the primary airbag light illuminating and sometimes the check engine light coming on for no apparent reason. Seat transducers were replaced a few times, air bag control module replaced/reprogrammed and several other things. They never could get it to stop.

Quick Reply: Airbag Indicator lights