3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

mileage odometer work-around???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:59 PM
BACKnBLACK
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mileage odometer work-around???

I was wondering if anyone would know how to disconnect the odometer or know a work-around to show less mileage when time to turn in the truck at the end of the lease. My Dad is due to turn his Dak in soon and doesn't want to go over the mileage, which will be near impossible without a work-around. Has anyone ever done it. Will it screw with the PCM? Will the check engine light come on? etc.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Nicegy525
Veteran
Default RE: mileage odometer work-around???

its illegal for one thing. and another thing, digital odometer mileagesare stored in the main computer so unless you can re-program the main computer there isnt any way. the old analog odo's were alot easier to screw with.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 PM
BACKnBLACK
Professional

I thought so, but I thought I would ask.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:36 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

I can't believe you would even ask us to be dishonest!

Old 11-09-2007, 08:28 AM
mb18
Record Breaker

Whatever you do, don't tell us about it. That's called evidence...

Old 11-09-2007, 11:50 AM
QCDAKblue
Veteran

No really fair to next owner! As a person that got scrwed by a dishonest owner please just pay the difference. I had a 95 M3 BMW at time of purchase showed 60k on the dash but when a BMW tech worked on the car the computer showed over 100K. The car ran perfect and looked great but it was still a dirtbag move (I found this out 2 years later, I only put 22K on it at that time). I had the dash reprogrammed to reflect accurate miliage, so I sold it honestly. Good thing car like that held its value so I really didnt loose much money.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:57 PM
turfgrass
Professional

Somebody told me there is a way to do it, start the truck and click the key back just a touch to keep it running, this disables the speedo, all accessories including ABS, (you cant even adjust the heat or vents, windows or door locks) and will cause your Check engine light to come on, and throw code U1120 (Lost wheel distance). It onlyu works for so long then it starts counting your miles again. I think at most it can be used for 100 miles then it no longer works.

Also there is a wiring diagram for the wheel distance sensor in the service manual so you could disconnect that, not sure how easy it is as reading electrical diagrams is not my thing.

But hey that would be stealing of miles and I do not condone that type of behavior!!!

On a side note if you turn the key on and off about 3 or 4 times ending with on your engine code will be displayed in the odometer.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:58 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what we use to do in the old days, was put the vechicle up on jack stands and open the hood. tie a string to the coil wire in case vech. fell off the stands it will kill the engine. while up on the stands we would put the vech. in reverse, this would make the odometer go backwards taking off the mileage. dont think the new ones could do that.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:43 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

ah i hate miles on cars feels like they go so fast...............wish they didnt go so fast

Quick Reply: mileage odometer work-around???