3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Remote Start Question..

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:50 PM
pack154
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start Question..

I bought my truck used last year and the previous owner put a remote start on it. Does anyone know how to get the horn from honking when you use remote start? It honks twice when you activate the remote start and once when the engine starts up. Kind of loud for the neighbors at 5:30am.

The remote start is made by Mopar.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 PM
graythang
Record Breaker
Default RE: Remote Start Question..

You will need to have the dealer do it. It’s on the CAM-BUSS menu. I so need to hack this crap.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:41 PM
pack154
Professional

Only the dealer can do it? Also, what is the "CAM-BUSS menu"? I apoligize in advance for not knowing.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:42 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

Control area network-buss or (CAN-B) is the program that your on-board computer runs. It has presets built in and there are a bunch of functions that can be changed via the program and your dealer has a hand-held device that has the Daimler-Chrysler CAN-B profile on it. If you add MOPAR options later like R-Start or even fog lamps to radios etc. once installed they must tell the computer of the install. This allows the syncing of all other electronics to interact as designed with the new install. Fog lights once the computer sees them with the new switch that has CAN-B twisted pair now uses the battery protection circuit incase the lights are left on. This is true with most if not all add-ons. Horror stories have been told of screwing up the CAN-B with radios that try to interact with the clock spring cabling for the steering wheel radio buttons. I was told but never chose to do it to have the two horn beeps turned off for the remote start. You may also choose to have your DRLs turned on. I have never seen a complete list of functions that can be changed only trouble codes that can appear on the computer.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:51 PM
pack154
Professional

That makes sense. Thanks for the explaination of everything. I just thought there might be something as easy as turning the seat belt alarm chime off, but it sounds like it is pretty complicated. I hate bringing it to the dealer!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 04:23 PM
babygotdak
Professional

How do you turn the seat belt chime off?

Old 11-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional

I got the mopar kit off the .net and had the dealer install. The headaches and working in the garage w/ flashlights and all and the subsequent need for the dealer ANYWAY to program told me it was worth 175 to have them do it all.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:33 PM
pack154
Professional

Take a lookin the manual. There is a series of steps you have totake but its not hard. I turned mine off about a week after I got the truck. I usually take my seat belt off right before I get in the driveway and the chime was very annoying, but anyway, look in the manual. It gives step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:34 PM
WIZARD

if it is the factory add on remote then i will check my install manuel because mine does not sound i will check if there is a wire or a way to do it your self

Old 11-09-2007, 05:31 PM
pack154
Professional

ORIGINAL: WIZARD

if it is the factory add on remote then i will check my install manuel because mine does not sound i will check if there is a wire or a way to do it your self
Thanks! Let me know what you find.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Question..