3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:37 PM
mmullengs
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front End Noise

Here it is for the update.TheDodge dealer is still unable to find the noise in the front end of the Truck (spent two days at the shop). they have ordered sway bar links that should come in on monday. I dont beleive this will fix the problem. The rattling noise from the front end is still the same and the only way that i can tell anyone has been working on the vehicle is from the greasy paw prints all over the fenders and the hood.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Blu_Dak
Veteran

1st off welcome to the site & congrats on the Dak!
Sorry to hear that there milking you dry,I don't belive in stealerships at all,I swear to god I thought only polititions draged there fu(king feet!!!

I have the same problem it an 05 but theres less than 40K on it and this is retarded.
IM beyond the warenty so Im gonna fix the fu(king thing my self (BTW are there any replacement shocks 4 us yet)?
I just need shocks and I should be cool & I'll calm down....thanks.

Blu_

Old 11-22-2007, 08:52 AM
niftyguy239
Professional

I'm making an appointment to get my ball joints replaced on Monday. I too have that clunking, not much of a rattling noise as it is a clunking when I turn my sterring wheel in stationary or I go over bumps etc.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:47 PM
mmullengs
Amateur

This should be the last update I finally got the rattle in the front end of the truck fixed. Well today is Thanksgiving and I didn’t have much going on so I decide to take a look at what these monkeys at dodge did to my truck. During their work they screwed up my fan shroud and of course got grease everywhere. The problem that I discovered was that the hood bumpers where not adjusted correctly. When I shook the hood it moved a little better that a quarter inch when closed thus causing the rattling noise when going over bumps. I adjusted the hood bumpers until the hood no longer shook then took the Dakota out for a drive. What do you know rattle free. It should be quite interesting to go back to the dealer on Monday to let them know that after two day in the shop the only thing that wrong was the adjustment on the hood bumpers.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:14 PM
mightypizu
Professional

Ha! I had high hopes but my hood is very tightand secure. Hmmm...mine does sound like it's only coming from the left side-front. I have new 20' tires I want to put on too asap but I'm afraid they'll blame these (if it is the ball joints or whatever) and not cover it under warranty. I guess it's time to bring it in.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:14 AM
Chad05
Professional

Hey i have have all those sound's too, let's see i have had a tie rod go out 3 sway bar link's and now again it's making the same freaking sound, and also i heard that there is some kind of TSB on the rear sway bar link, also i seen a post on blown shock's well i hope that's not it this time, i think it's my sway bar link's cause i am getting those deep thud's that other's have talked about so has anybody changed there's and is it a tough job and do you need a torque wrench?
Chad

Old 11-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Blu_Dak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Chad05

Hey i have have all those sound's too, let's see i have had a tie rod go out 3 sway bar link's and now again it's making the same freaking sound, and also i heard that there is some kind of TSB on the rear sway bar link, also i seen a post on blown shock's well i hope that's not it this time, i think it's my sway bar link's cause i am getting those deep thud's that other's have talked about so has anybody changed there's and is it a tough job and do you need a torque wrench?
Chad
So whats up w/ the front end?

Old 11-28-2007, 03:45 PM
mightypizu
Professional

I took my dak in to the dealer and apparently the rattle is coming from the front sway bar link.They said they found "excessiveplay"so they're replacing it.On a side note, I mentioned the shudder when braking and apparently, they're replacing the rearshoes and resurfacing the front rotors (per TSB?). This was lessor of my concerns as I will eventually upgrade the front brakes. So we'll see tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Front End Noise