3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:08 PM
mmullengs
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Noise

Hi all wanted to mention that this is a great Forum for our trucks and that I enjoy reading the comments and upgrades that you have done to you vehicles. I figured that I would try and keep you informed on the latest development with my Truck. My 2007 Dodge Dakota HO with about 4000 miles is currently living at the Dodge Dealer due to their inability to find the noise coming from the front end of my truck. The nose is most apparent when driving over Man Hole covers or over rough wash board type roads. Kind of a clunking / rattling noise. Since the Dealer is unable to find problems with the wheel bearings or the end-link I figured that your knowledge base would have better answers. If i find some thing out from the shop i will post to let you know
Thanks Mmullengs

Old 11-19-2007, 08:10 PM
vandutton
Rookie
Default RE: Front End Noise

Do you have any suspension aftermarket stuff on? (LEveling kit, spacers, etc.) That could be the problem. Also, the shocks on these trucks suck, so that is possible for the noise as well.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:29 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i had the same problem ,the ball joints have broken from there rivets. there is a recall for this. what is happening is the ball joint is wearing into the control arm and causing the klunk. the dealships know about this so they are jerking your chain.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 PM
mmullengs
Amateur

Some thing is going on the service manager let the cat out of the bag to let me know that the red dakota next to mine in the service bay is experienceing the same problem and i keep getting the same lame answer that they need authorization to change out parts that appear to be in working order. This is the second time that they are looking into this problem. and after i started to talk about lemons they be came a bit more agressive about finding the issue.

At this time the truck is totaly stock except for a bed rug kit and a truxcedo tonneau cover.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:20 PM
4x4QC06V8DKTA
Veteran

i had the same problem ,the ball joints have broken from there rivets. there is a recall for this. what is happening is the ball joint is wearing into the control arm and causing the klunk. the dealships know about this so they are jerking your chain.
never heard of a recall for that i need to go look it up on FMCdealer. what years does that apply to?

Old 11-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a noise similar to that, turned out to be two blown front shocks, I've since blown another. Needless to say our front suspension design sucks...

Old 11-20-2007, 07:49 AM
07QCDAK

Try this, find a speed bump someplace. Go over the speed bump with either the driver side or passengers side tire first, so you go over at an angle. You dont have to go very fast less than 5 mph I would think and see if you hear a clunk. The only reason Im saying this is I get a clunking when driving over a speed bump with the passengers side tire first and not with the drivers side tire. I also hear some noise from the front end of my truck similar to what you are saying. If you have the same issue then driving over a speed bump may give them a way to reproduce the noise every time. I am waiting for some time so I can bring it into the Dealer.

John
QC2007 4x4

Old 11-20-2007, 09:55 AM
mmullengs
Amateur

Getting the truck to generate the noise is not a problem, discovering the offending part making the rattling /squeaking / thumping is the issue. I have a feeling that it will probably be more than one item that needs to be replaced. I will post the fix that the dealer performs. Hopefuly I get the truck back today.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:59 AM
mightypizu
Professional

I knew I was hearing something. I have it too. Sounds like a deep thud-like rattle and it happens on bumpy roads, potholes, etc. Let us know.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:55 PM
mmullengs
Amateur

Received call from the service department and they are still trying to find the problem. From what the individual working there has told me once they have exhausted the usual things to check they call Chrysler for what to do next. Nothing like troubleshooting a truck over the phone. Kind of like calling India to fix your computer

Quick Reply: Front End Noise