3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

**RUMMOR**

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:09 PM
4x4QC06V8DKTA
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: **RUMMOR**

YEAH I MEAN...back even 5 years ago the car market was better for trucks...5 years ago gas was 1.00 or less...so i mean unless you use it for work then like seriously people don't wanna waste that kinda money you know! but i mean really what can you do? i like driving my truck but at the same time my buddy has an STI and its kick ***...gets way better gas mileage and its a sporty turboed car...but i don't want a car, but I'm saying there are trucks out there with 100 more horsepower than mine getting better Gas Mileage if the dakota got 20 city and 25 Highway they wuold be selling alot more i think...but thats just my thoughts

Old 11-29-2007, 06:25 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

noooooooooooo i hate bad news like that even if it was just an oppinion!!!
better make a redicious mid size truck then................

Old 11-30-2007, 02:58 AM
viper359
Professional

Well Guys....

Just my two cents, I did not post on this until I had a chance to speak with a friend of mine who does company mergers and reductions.... So, I guess its his two cents, but he said..... All Dodge, Chrysler, and other related platforms will be reviewed not doubt. They will eliminate doubles between companys or brands. They would elimate platforms with slow or little sales, and serious competition in other markets that they cannot (at this point in time) compete in. However, he added "The midsize truck market has not been tapped yet, and with people wanting more gas milage, and vehicles capable of performing to a full size standard in most applications, Chrysler has the edge." Now, I should note, automotive is not his specalty. His is in the Natural Resources sector.

I do not know stats of the Dodge Dakota, but I do not seriously believe they will stop production. I think this is the one area that they actually dominate. The Full size has way to much competiion, and from better manufactors. We have to expect some cuts and complete removals from their line-up. This was Chryslers problem to begin with. They had too many vehicles. GM (personally speaking) is in the same boat. I think that if Dodge is smart, they will go with their current press issuance, which is divide the brands. Dodge being trucks and serious sports cars, Chrysler being the 02nd tier high end wannabes. This would be (in my opinion) the best thing they could do. In the US, it was the Dodge Intrepid, in Canada (not sure about the rest of the world), it was known as the Chrysler Intrepid. They really need to work on brand focus.

I hope that the new owners see the potiential they have with the Dakota. If a company seriously tried to market it right, and built it right, they could dominate the midsize truck market, and maybe even steal people from the SUV market. Thats why I bought the damn Dakota.... The best of both worlds. I won't cry if they get rid of it, I will just go buy an F-150. I bought the Dakota, because of its abilities for its size.

(Dont Mind My Spelling or Bad Grammer please.... Beer #6

Old 11-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Growlor
Professional

You know, I just don't see what drives these bozos in their model selection. First-off they eliminated the PT cruiser convertibles. When my wife was looking for one earlier this year, you could not find any because they didn't stay at the dealership long enough for us to buy one!
In addition to this, they decided to exit the diesel market for Jeep liberties even though they sold every single one of them. I know the EPA threw them a curve-ball, but when you have something selling that well, KEEP MAKING IT!
Then they decided to rework the Liberty's body because it wasn't masculine enough. They decided this because they were selling a ton of them to college age girls. So these brainiacs decided to change it instead of taking advantage of its popularity with that market segment.
Given this level of decision making, it would not surprise me if they killed the Dakota. I LOVE my current Dakota, but if any US manufacturer made a decent mini-truck (ie dirt cheap and rugged) I would have bought one of them instead. If they just made a cheap diesel 4x4 mini-truck I would be very surprised if they could keep-up with demand for it.

Growlor