3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007 | 11:08 AM
Antjmar
Rookie
Default RE: snow

I have a TRX4 with AWD. We had a little bit of snow the other day. It was the first time I drove it in the snow soI had to "test it"the AWD with the LSD rear is incrdible! I tried the 4 lock to see the difference and it WAS better but I wouldnt say I needed it since it was such little snow! I have the original Wrangler tires on it.
BTW ABS DOES NOT MAKE YOU STOP FASTER IN THE SNOW!!!! it just allows you to steer.

Old 12-06-2007 | 01:53 PM
bkjtimp
Veteran

General Grabber AT2's are much improved over the Eagle GS that came stock on my truck. Obviously you can still spin them easily (V8 afterall!) but nowhere near as slipperly as the Eagles in the snow. I have never had real snow tires, so not sure how much better they'd be, but I am happy with these, or at least not dis-happy. Couple more inches due tonight!

Old 12-06-2007 | 02:00 PM
trucky
Record Breaker

thanx growlor...my family is in ohio and im in NORcal so i know exactly what you mean, and i heard all about the ohio snow.

Old 12-06-2007 | 04:51 PM
4x4QC06V8DKTA
Veteran

thanx growlor...my family is in ohio and im in NORcal so i know exactly what you mean, and i heard all about the ohio snow.
you said something about your going to Nebraska next year? have fun with all that snow its gonna be fun!!

Old 12-06-2007 | 07:44 PM
Growlor
Professional

Antjmar: Sorry, but I must disagree with you about ABS not letting you stop faster. By keeping your tires from locking, you allow your tires to use static instead of kinetic friction (ie the part of the tire touching the road is holding still instead of sliding, so it has more grip.) This means that you can actually stop faster.
However, I suppose someone who was a REALLY good driver MIGHT be able to do a better job of pushing the brakes right up to their limit (before they start to slide) instead of the rapid pulsing of ABS, but I know for me ABS is much better. In fact, it took us quite a while to get my wife's PT cruiser because I made her get a model with ABS and finding a base (ie affordable) model with ABS took almost a month. The reason I insisted on this was those PT cruisers are nearly death-traps in the winter around here due to their road racer style tires and I nearly got into 3 wrecks with her previous PT.
As far as AWD, you are right on target. We had a Durango with AWD and it was awesome in both high-speed manuvers as well as bad weather. I don't remember ever needing to use 4WD lock in that vehicle and it cornered much better than anything that big had a right to.

Growlor

Old 12-06-2007 | 08:01 PM
importkiller76
Veteran

We hve about a foot here in saskatchewan, and as for the 2wd/4wd arguement, I have an 06 SLT 4x4. I have been out hunting everday this week, driving the drifted over trails in the community pasture and the military base, and have only had to put it in 4wd once. I got the stock b/f goodrich all terrains, and love them in the snow!

Old 12-06-2007 | 08:08 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

my R/T goes great in the snow, i hardly use 4x4 even if there is couple inches of snow on the ground- last year i used it once that was it-

Old 12-06-2007 | 08:49 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Mine came with Wrangler RT/S's and I'm gonna replace 'em with the same. Great traction rain or snow, quiet, hold corners great w/ no squealing. And with 51K on 'em, they still have a good bit of life left.

Old 12-06-2007 | 09:41 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

ORIGINAL: Deer Hunter

Mine came with Wrangler RT/S's and I'm gonna replace 'em with the same. Great traction rain or snow, quiet, hold corners great w/ no squealing. And with 51K on 'em, they still have a good bit of life left.
Those are ok, company I used to work for used them on the work trucks since they're relatively cheap. I'm not a fan of them though, the Wrangler AT/S I had on my Chevy at the time outperformed them with ease. My dad used to use them on his Ram, talked him into getting BFG TA/KO's one time and now he won't get anything but the BFG's

My Dak came standard with the Eagle's, I can't even begin to tell you how much of a useless POS that tire is...

Old 12-06-2007 | 10:59 PM
Antjmar
Rookie

Growlor, maybe I should have phrased it differently. It took me months to find a Dakota with 4 wheelABS and wouldnt drive a car (especially in the winter) without it, ABS is awesome. But alot of inexperienced and /or younger drivers think that they can defy the laws of physics with ABS. I have gone to high performance driving school and know exactly what you are talking about (threshold braking).
You may not agree with me but your old 2000 pound B210 with good snow tires could probably stop just as fast in the snowcompared to a 5000 pound truck/SUV with ABS and all season tires! The more mass that is moving the more energy is required to stop it. On slick pavement theextra weight really works against you.
If you slam your brakes on a gravelroad or drivewayyou will see that it takes longer to stop than without ABS. IfI recall, high end "off road vehicles" such as a range rover have different programming settings for the ABS depending on the type of pavement (driver selectable), off roadABS is a hinderance. If you ever drive on a frozen lake or totaly frozen parking lot try to stop with the abs since the wheels barely look up it will take real long time. Again most of the time its great and I wouldnt have it any other way. But you stillshould to be aware of the pavement conditions and tire condition.

Quick Reply: snow