3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

underdrive pulley system

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Destructicon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: underdrive pulley system

nice so your clocking like about 23.8 to 24.4 mpg? (oh yeah that was done via brain power, Hahahaa) What temp and Oct level are you running? Just wondering cuz I was experimenting with my wife's 06 Corolla a few weeks back with mpg ratings when in CA with lower air temps vs. AZ and higher elevation and thinner air. I know the concept and formula works out, but with a larger block and heavier truck, does mathmatics and physics correlate??

Old 12-11-2007, 11:37 PM
kingsaffey
Professional

i put 93 oct in my dak i get well over 20mpg. im glad that in texas 93 oct is under 3 dollars. back in ny i was paying alomost four dollars at one point

Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use 93 octane only, and it was around 90 degrees.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:03 AM
ChadJK

I'll be the dumb one...

What exactly is an underdrive pulley system? How does it differ from the factory original? What exactly does it accomplish and how does it accomplish it?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Racinartist
All Star

ORIGINAL: Destructicon

Its worth it man. Frenchy was giving me **** the other day for having 3" pipes on my Kota and losing out on TQ. After all my mods, my truck jumps when I command it too. Of course lots of variables involved such as fuel type used and even air temp, but I would not do anything else to my Kota except go extremes and port/polish, S/C types. But why do that to a daily driver. To prove a point, I average 18.8 mpg in 116deg AZ weather w/85oct during the summer. Even better mpg in the winter.
I've never even SEEN 85 oct fuel. What's up with that?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

underdrive pullys spin the accesorys such as A/C and alternater slower puting les drag on the motor

Old 12-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Dusty
Professional

I remember reading that 27 ft/lb claim back when these were back ordered/couldn't order one. Doesn't that torque gain sound optimistic to anyone else? [&:]
Either way to those who got one- is the big harmonic dampener still on the pulley? Is it significantly lighter? We were going to build some out of aluminum, but were alittle worried about harmonics...

Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

The 4.7 pulley should be a direct bolt on for the 3.7L as well, correct? The serpentine belt on my truck says 3.7/4.7, and I've heard that the front of the motors are the same.

Anything around 20 FT-LB for a 3.7 engine would be huge! 255 FT-LB, thats starting to sound respectable.

***EDIT***

I see that P/N 501150 can be used for 99-03 Ram 3.7L's, so I'm taking that as a 'yes' for us 3.7 Dakota guys too.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:25 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Dusty

I remember reading that 27 ft/lb claim back when these were back ordered/couldn't order one. Doesn't that torque gain sound optimistic to anyone else? [&:]
Either way to those who got one- is the big harmonic dampener still on the pulley? Is it significantly lighter? We were going to build some out of aluminum, but were alittle worried about harmonics...
I wouldnt mess with the balencer unless you where going to have the crank balenced.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Dusty
Professional

ORIGINAL: turbot_bird

ORIGINAL: Dusty

I wouldnt mess with the balencer unless you where going to have the crank balenced.
Are these motors not internally balanced?

Quick Reply: underdrive pulley system