3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

need to remove rear seat from '05 Quad

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 04:31 AM
Jaybird
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to remove rear seat from '05 Quad

I am looking to remove the rear seat from my 2005 quad cab. My K9 partner is the only one who is ever back there, behind his barrier, and I'd rather lay down a bed for him than spend $$$ on a custom seat cover. I can't find a generic that fits or looks worth a dam. At home shampooing the seat every payday is not an option. The blanket I've been using is a pain in the rump and looks cheap. Yes I know the dealership could do it without even giving me a kiss or a reach around, but I'd like to avoid that. If anyone has experience with this, please give me detailed instructions, list of tools needed, and any tricks to simplify the effort and time. Pretend I've never done this before. Just in case you are wondering, I will be storing the seat and parts removed for future use.

Thanks in advance,

Jaybird

Old 12-12-2007, 03:20 PM
herkguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need to remove rear seat from '05 Quad

Very easy to do.
each seat is held in with just (4) bolts/nuts I think 15 mm. Two of the seat belt female ends are held down with the same nuts so they don't require any extra steps. The only tricky part is the center shoulder strap, but is not hard either. You will need a very small reg screwdriver or nail. Follow the center shoulder strap under the passenger side seat, you will find the bottom buckle for the center shoulder strap. You will see how it clips in like a regular belt, however you have to insert a small pointed object in a small hole on the top back of it to release it. It will release just like a regular belt end latch.
Use this order for disassembly
1. lift up both seats
2. remove jack (just untwist handle to loosen)
3. unclip bottom of center shoulder belt
4. unbolt four nuts and bolts that hold other two belts and seats to the floor(for reassembly note how the belts are attached under the nuts take a picture to remember if needed)
5. carefully lift/slide the back of the seats up a few inches to free the tops from mounting hookson back wall.

your seats should be free to remove from vehical, be carefull to hold the back and bottoms together or they will unfold on you at a inconvenient timeand bang your doors or paint.

The center shoulder strap can be reconnected and left in or you will need a torx(not sure on size to remove bottom and just a small wrech to remove the top. It will be more than clear on what to do.

hope this helps

Quick Reply: need to remove rear seat from '05 Quad