3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

V8 w/ Manual Trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: V8 w/ Manual Trans

Intake, Exhaust, Power Wire, Synthetic fluids (in engine oil, and front and rear diffs,) tonneau cover, 41psi in the tires...

That's about it...

Old 01-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

41PSI!?!? Holy crap dude. I run 35. How can you stand the ride with 41????

Old 01-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Frenchy
Banned

It's not that bad, honestly...

That and 20" wheels, Idk, I'm used to it...

Try driving with 48psi, I did that once, got 24.7mpg overall... :-)

Ride was really rough, but nearly 25mpg, I can tolerate...

Old 01-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Racinartist
All Star

Before I changed rims and tires, I tried 40PSI just in the rears for a few days just for the hell of it. Not only was the ride rough, but I also noticed that it would spin instantly on wet roads. The softer the tire (lower air pressure) the better the grip.

When I had my ZR2 with BFG ATs I used to rum 31-32lbs in all 4. Those tires are so stiff that I was just trying to get a better ride out of it.

Speaking of, has anyone else here ever ownded a ZR2? I loved that freakin' truck! The only bad thing about it was it was an auto (GM didn't put a stick in any of their small trucks unless it was a 4 banger). It was a lease though, so I had to dump it after 2 1/2 years, and that's when I started buying Dakotas. It had the 4.3 Vortec engine and ran like a raped ape. It was as fast, if not faster, than the 4.7 I have now (it was an ext cab S-10 which was a lot lighter than the Dak). They LOOKED like 4X4s with the high-rider stance and factory flares, not like all of Detroit's other 4WD trucks anymore. It handled like a freakin' Porsche too, with the Bilsteins and heavyass sway bars and all they put under them. If my Dakota handled like that truck did...well, what a truck it would be. As far as I'm concerned, that setup was a homerun for GM. Too bad they discontinued it and went with the Colorado/Canyon with that gay 5 cylinder. I looked at them when I turned in my ZR2 and hell, I couldn't even fit the Raptor in the bed of it because it was too narrow. [&:]

Old 01-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

The ZR2's were good trucks, my friend had one till he upgraded to an '07 Silverado. FYI the 5 speed manual was available with the 4.3, he had it in his. It did great offroad and would easily beat my Dak off a light (having auto kind of sucks, wish mine was the 6-speed). It was quite small though, my Dak seemed enormous by comparison, also much more comfortable for me to fit in (being 6'4" has its disadvantages). Dodge definitely could have taken a lesson from those and made the TRX a true offroad package.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Frenchy
Banned

I betcha my trucks WAY faster than your's Rich....

Eric and I had a little race this past summer, and had I realized he was taking off, I woulda beaten him, but I didn't til we was at about 75, and I was still around 65, I threw er in 4th, and caught up really quick....

Old 01-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Frenchy
Banned

I think we ended our speed adventure at like 100mph, or somewhere around there...

Old 01-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Racinartist
All Star

ORIGINAL: Altair

The ZR2's were good trucks, my friend had one till he upgraded to an '07 Silverado. FYI the 5 speed manual was available with the 4.3, he had it in his. It did great offroad and would easily beat my Dak off a light (having auto kind of sucks, wish mine was the 6-speed). It was quite small though, my Dak seemed enormous by comparison, also much more comfortable for me to fit in (being 6'4" has its disadvantages). Dodge definitely could have taken a lesson from those and made the TRX a true offroad package.

What the...? He must have ordered his from the factory that way. My dealer always led me to believe it wasn't available. And they were kinda' small, compared to a Dakota at least. But it wasn't an issue since I never had a Dakota 'til after I got rid of the ZR2. I do miss that truck though.

Quick Reply: V8 w/ Manual Trans