3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Newbie question on Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Cadillac15
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie question on Synthetic Oil

Don't listen to 4x4, listen to monkey, You'll just be wasting money by changing it every 3. Newer vehicles can last 7,000 miles on regular oil nowadays, it can easily do 15 on synthetic. I use 5w30 I think, and it's working great.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the answer to the "What is stupid" question...

Answer: 4x4QC

Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

lol at this thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:31 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

I also have vehicles that have survived well past expected. 96 gmc suburban 2500 with 454 - 249,000 miles also2 89 gmc sierra's 1500 with 350's 377,000 on one and 381,000 on the other. all fleet vehicles for my grandpa's trucking company. they have had a rough life changing oil somewhere between 10-15k miles.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 4x4QC06V8DKTA

well go with Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. I use Royal purple just cause of the past cares i've had and its just a great brand of oil...but yeah don't ever leave a filter on for 7500 or oil in your car for 15000 miles...thats just stupid...every 3,000 or 3 months...i run synthetic and i still go by that rule...every 3,000 cause really every time you start your car even if your sitting still that oil is still being run through your motor so really your putting more miles on your motor and oil life but its not clocked as distance miles...make since? but yeah never leave oil in your car for longer than 5,000 tops!
Call around to state police and highway patrol, ask them how long they run their cars between oil changes. I think you would be very surprised at the number, especially considering how many miles they rack up and the conditions they are run in.

My grandfather always did oil changes at 8k in his 96 Ram running on normal Napa oil and filters. He sold it with almost 200k on it and the guy who owns it now has it over 300k without trouble.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:50 AM
Mahadigus
Rookie

ORIGINAL: 4x4QC06V8DKTA

well go with Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. I use Royal purple just cause of the past cares i've had and its just a great brand of oil...but yeah don't ever leave a filter on for 7500 or oil in your car for 15000 miles...thats just stupid...every 3,000 or 3 months...i run synthetic and i still go by that rule...every 3,000 cause really every time you start your car even if your sitting still that oil is still being run through your motor so really your putting more miles on your motor and oil life but its not clocked as distance miles...make since? but yeah never leave oil in your car for longer than 5,000 tops!

I don't agree with the need to change it but thats not totally wrong either. Royal Purple is designed to be changed every 3-5k miles and so is normal Mobil and Amsoil...its just in the last 3 years or so that those 2 companies have come out with oils that can withstand longer intervals without breaking down. I personally change my Mobil 1 every 3k miles and although I know I don't have to it's a piece of mind thing for myself along with 4X4QC and thats fine. I don't agree with the stupid comment though, we are all here to help eachother not cut eachother down...people are entitled to their own opinions and thats what these boards are about. but thats just my $0.02

Old 01-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Kacy

I tend to agree with you ericemery. I can do it, I just dont have time to change my oil. With that being said I didnt realize some of the strong feelings some have on the subject of intervals between oil changes. My truck sits on the driveway except on weekends, so not much driving is occuring or wear and tear on the engine.

I think have made my decision and I'm going to switch to Mobil 1 for the convenience and availability...and more than likely I will not change except once or twice a year (except maybe the filter more often). I do check it every weekend, so check often and change less!

This hasbeen agreat discussion and I appreciate everyones thoughts.

Kacy

Old 01-31-2008, 01:19 PM
4x4QC06V8DKTA
Veteran

well responding to everyone at once...yes over seas especially...say Japan, Germany, what is it with something or another to change the motor for emissions purposes, so yeah they'll say run it 10-20 thousand miles on an oil change. But granted you can do that with some OILS which i never dissagreed with..but if you do look at the statepatrol cars, taxis, etc...look at how many problems they have in the long run compared to other cars similar that get regular oil changes...i've seen it over and over but to each his own...and Royal Purple isa synthetic oil. test on my motorcycle have shown better results than any other oil. and also it makes my truck and my bike run cooler. and if it is such that bad of an oil as your hinting at then why do alot of drag racers and Nascar run that oil in their motors under that amount of pressure and abuse? can't be a ****ty oil....but like i said to each his own. and in no way was i inadvertently callin anyone stupid...its just my opinion that leaving oil in your car for 15000miles is retarted. the same chemicals being broken down over that amount of drive time...yeah never will do that, 5,000 max...in my 96 dakota that i had i ran Mobile 1 oil in it when it hit 10K. and it had 160,000 miles on it when i sold it and i never replaced anything major...battery,brakes, rotors, all fluids, thermostat, plugs, wires....but nothing major. but i mean if you want to do that its w/e its your motor in the long run i'd just rather not leave the same additives in my motor for what a year? 15ka year driving for me. but like i said its your choice

Quick Reply: Newbie question on Synthetic Oil