3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:39 AM
viper359
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed

OK guys.....

It snowed pretty hard today, used the 4X4 all the way to work. Once I got to work, I went down my garage ramp, (still in 4X4) and then it felt as is my truck had stalled. I checked, it had not, engine reved fine, but it just did not want to move, almost like the tranny went limp. I gunned it, and it moved forward, but I could hear the back driver tire dragging instead of turning.

This has happened before too. I thought it might be build up of snow between my skid plates, and whatever is above it. I have taken it in and out of 4X4 without issues, and back into 4X4 and nothing appears wrong, or sounds. I shut of the truck, turn back on, same thing, then I try the parking brake and release. This time, it just started to drive normal again. (This could have been because i reved the engine and took off)

IS this anything, or is my theory of snow build up between the skid plates sound like the issue.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Night_Runner
Champion
Default RE: Advice needed

idk what to tell you man. we dont get a crap load of snow EVERY year, but we get a bit once or twice a year. last year we had a huge ice storm and had like 2 feet of ice, and then we got 2-3 feet of snow. i drove home 100 miles in it, had no problems. i had a lot of build up all over, but i never checked to look underneath. that lasted almost a full month, and i drove numerous times. even when im at school i probably drive every other to every 3rd day. shoot, i actually use 4x4 quite often and ive never had that happened. i used it yesterday actually...probably wont be another 2-3 weeks before i use it again, could be sooner

Old 02-02-2008, 02:42 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

for some reason I remember someone else talking about something like this where a wheel locks up and wont break free. cant remember what it was, I think it had something to do with the brakes.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:39 AM
viper359
Professional

Christ, I guess I better take it to the stealership. Last thing I need is brake issues

Old 02-02-2008, 10:42 AM
viper359
Professional

since someone mentioned the brakes, it makes sense, the last thing I used on the vehicle would be the breaks. It is a downhill ramp, that has a somewhat tight turn to get to the spitter machine. Just as I slow it down, start the turn, give it some gas, it lurches or locks. So, you are right. It would be the brake not letting go. That would also explain the tire dragging. It ONLY does it when in 4X4 and snow covered roads.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:35 PM
viper359
Professional

I should also now add....

Today when leaving for work, I drove through some slush and snow, then my ability to turn right was almost gone. It felt like I lost power steering. I had to really pull hard on the wheel to complete my turn. It lasted only a minute or two, but long enough.

Now I am starting to wonder what is going on!@!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:12 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

was it in 4x4? if so and it was on pavement the tires might not have been able to slip enough and thats why it felt like that. In 4x4 the tires all go the same speed, when you turn the tires need to go at different speeds from each other so unless the tires have the ability to slip on ice or dirt then it will not want to turn.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:31 AM
viper359
Professional

I have an app't with the dealer on Monday.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:02 PM
blkdak246

When you engage the 4X4, the front diff is taking control of the front wheels. With this engaged, the front wheels are only allowed to go to a certain degree angle. When you get to that degree, the hubs lock and it feels as though you are against a concrete wall. If you were in a parking garage, and in 4X4, most likely you were on dry pavement and the 4X4 wasn't needed. My guess is that your 4X4 is fine and you were misusing the 4X4. I would suggest only using it in the snow and mud and on loose ground where your tires are able to independently spin and not get stuck on the concrete. Read up on 4X4 a little bit prior to next use. It's a bit more complicated than just turning the **** on the dashboard to 4Lock/4Low.

Quick Reply: Advice needed