3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tow capacity

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Cadillac15
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow capacity

What is it that makes the V6's towing capacity so much less than the V8's? Id have to imagine it would be the transmission, because as far as power goes, the V6 isnt so much less power that it would only be able to tow half of what the V8 does, maybe im wrong. Maybe its a mix. thats why Im asking. The V6 is only rated at 3800 lbs. so, yeah

Old 02-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tow capacity

ORIGINAL: Allpar

Producing 210 horsepower at 5,200 rpm, with 235 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpm (that's 157 kW and 319 Nm), the 3.7 is more carlike in its power curve than past Jeep and Dodge Ram engines.
The 4.7-liter V-8 is rated at 230 horsepower at 4,600 rpm and 290 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,600 rpm,
The 4.7 has more torque and I've read it has a very good torque curve for towing. It's probably a combination of many factors. (I tried to find dyno results for both engines but gave up).

Old 02-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque, as Rich stated, is what will give you the better towing performance.

Add to the fact, it's peak power is 400 RPMs lower than that of the v6, it doesn't take as long, to get the pulling power, of the 6er...

Also, there is a lot more torque in the 8, in the lower RPMs, than there is in the 6.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Blu_Dak
Veteran

The 3.7 doesn't have the torque like the 4.7 as everybody knows,one would think the 3.7 would have better fuel ecco.well is not any better than the 4.7 & that's because of the tranny.
The lack of HP in the 3.7 is compensated in the tranny for quicker shifting patterns make it quicker out of the gate,this is standard for most mid-sized truck'sw/ smaller engine style there for lack of higher tow cap.

Blu_

Old 03-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Cadillac15
Professional

so then would it be possible to switch out tranny's, or would the 3.7 not be able to handle it?

Old 03-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

You can tow more than 3800 just fine. We had about 5500 on the 06 without a problem.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Cadillac15
Professional

for how many miles? Cus im looking at towing a 3500-4200 pound vehicle for about oh.....1k miles

Old 03-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

It was about 80-90 miles. It searched for gears a bit, so you had to keep it in T/H mode, and the stopping distance was greatly increased, but I think you could make it just fine.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Blu_Dak
Veteran

toraine
ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

It was about 80-90 miles. It searched for gears a bit, so you had to keep it in T/H mode, and the stopping distance was greatly increased, but I think you could make it just fine.
How was the terrainwas it flat or close to it,towing in a short distance isn't bad & I'll bet you could have towed more weight.[/align]Tow caps are a general average guidance table for people who need something to go by for towing weight.[/align]The T/H button is for heaver pay loads and helps your tranny from having a melt down,it helps it from trying to find the right gearat the proper speed.[/align]Hills are the worst thing for people who tow this button helps compensate for these simple problems,most seasoned people who tow speed up going down the hills so they can taper off the pedal while going up.[/align][/align]I'll bet your braking distance was lengthened,that is if your trailer didn't have an electronic braking system,these are a good thing to have if your towing good sized weight. There actually designed to not just stop the trailer but help stop you .[/align][/align]Blu_[/align]

Old 03-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Blu_Dak

toraine
ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

How was the terrainwas it flat or close to it,towing in a short distance isn't bad & I'll bet you could have towed more weight.[/align]Tow caps are a general average guidance table for people who need something to go by for towing weight.[/align]The T/H button is for heaver pay loads and helps your tranny from having a melt down,it helps it from trying to find the right gearat the proper speed.[/align]Hills are the worst thing for people who tow this button helps compensate for these simple problems,most seasoned people who tow speed up going down the hills so they can taper off the pedal while going up.[/align][/align]I'll bet your braking distance was lengthened,that is if your trailer didn't have an electronic braking system,these are a good thing to have if your towing good sized weight. There actually designed to not just stop the trailer but help stop you .[/align][/align]Blu_[/align]
It was mostly flat until we got to Bellfountain, Ohio where there are some nice sized hills, and it made it up them just fine. We were hauling a 93 JGC on a car dolly with the stock bumper hitch and had no problems whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Tow capacity