3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

installing Halos/ projectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:48 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing Halos/ projectors

picked up a set of blk halos for the dakota off ebay. Attempted to install them today and here is what is happening.
OK I got them on BUT... they are not doing what I want. Actually they are not both doing the same thing and I cannot believe they are both broken in different areas.. I am broken.. I pig tailed all the black's togeher so that they only need to go into the ground with one connection. I then pigtailed the halo and eye brow and left the led's single. My plug would not give me a good reading with my volt meter so I winged it. Figured I can always use butt connectors to change things around. The plug has 1 2 3 labeled on it. the wires are different colors betwen the left and right. This is what I have and the results. Driver side. Black into 2, halo and brow in 1 and led's in 3. The halo's and brow work with parking light. the brow works with flasher, led's do not light up. passenger side. Same connection (I think) and halos do not light but brows do with parking light. LED's and brow flash. so bottom line, no LED's on driver and no Halo on passenger. Projectors (high and low) both work fine. Left it for now but can ANYONE tell me how I messed up? For the wires, 1 2 3 have to be common otherwise the lights would sork in some but not others. Anyone have a haynes book and can check to see what the 1 2 and 3 should be?

sorry so long but I am frustrated.....

thanks[/align]

Old 03-01-2008, 08:16 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker
Default RE: installing Halos/ projectors

got a response at just ask.... FYI for anyone else

1 is ground
2 is park
3 is turn
If you used wire nuts I sugest you check your work sometimes when you gang leads of stranded wire they tend to slip out of wire nuts.
Also check your wire colors against the schematic I am enclosinmg.
You said you put black into #2 if black is ground thyen you conected your ground to the parking lights.

View Full Image

1 is ground
2 is park
3 is turn
If you used wire nuts I sugest you check your work sometimes when you gang leads of stranded wire they tend to slip out of wire nuts.
Also check your wire colors against the schematic I am enclosinmg.
You said you put black into #2 if black is ground thyen you conected your ground to the parking lights.

View Full Image

Old 03-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you take some pictures of the wiring on the lights? Also what was preventing you from getting a good reading with the voltmeter? If it's just not being able to stick the prong into the hole in the plug slide a short piece of wire in there and then hold the voltmeter's prong up against that

Old 03-02-2008, 12:45 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

Having the schematic makes the meter a moot point!

OK, Sorry to keep bothering ya'll with this but I just got to say. What a difference when you have the schematic's.... 1 ground, 2 park 3 flash and it works just as I want. The brow and halos go with the parking and LED's with the flasher. Quick question... for the lights themselves... the one where you see the plain bulb and the one with the projector cover... what one is high and what one is low beam? my thought is the projector is the high beam and the uncovered is low. Went out last night and the way it looks is that way. BUT the way they were wired was backwards. My high was worse then my low. (low beam was through the projectors.) SO when fixing the halos and led today, I reversed them to what I think it should be. Did I put them backwards?

I will submit photos soon, want it to be dark when I take them tonight.[/align]

Old 03-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Typically the projectors will be your lows. My last car had projectors as the lows and reflectors for the highs stock, if you think about it it makes sense, you use your lows much more than your highs so you want to see as well as you can with them.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:02 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

i have them and im replacing ever dam bulbs inside them bc they were ****ty bulbs!

Old 03-02-2008, 05:20 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

What bulbs are you going to use to replace? I am torn between PIAA and Silverstars. I had silverstars in the old housing and liked them and they are cheaper then the PIAA's. I hear nothing but great things about the PIAA's so I don't know what to do!?!

Old 03-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Get some Luminics, in my integra I switched from Silverstar Ultras to Luminics Krypton ultra whites and noticed a difference in favor of the luminics.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:41 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

here is a shot of the wireing

and here is what it looks like done

Quick Reply: installing Halos/ projectors