3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Newbee to dakotas have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 AM
tfowler306
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbee to dakotas have some questions...

hello all I am fairly new to the site, which is to say I have been reading and researching as I looked for my next vehicle. I am trading in my 1990 F150 had it since 1995 (I tend to keep them for a while, so I want to make sure I am buying the right vehicle.) I will actually be picking up my 05 Dakota this evening after work, it is in the shop getting its final once over and hitch installed.

I really like my audio I like to build and install custom systems this Dakota looks to be a challange. I do have a couple of questions:

1. will any radio from previous years work in this truck? (04)
2. does anyone know what com bus is utilized in this truck?
a. J1850
b. CAN-A ( low speed)
c. CAN-B ( High speed)

of course I will be into the engine and exhaust once I complete some more research into those areas, and it warms up...

Old 03-04-2008, 06:11 AM
V8MANual
Captain
Default RE: Newbee to dakotas have some questions...

Welcome to a great forum.

Question 1. No, '05 brought a new dash design. (I tried it)

Question 2. I don't know what a com bus is.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:36 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

your talking Greek to me???????? What is a com bus?

Old 03-04-2008, 06:38 AM
tfowler306
Rookie

thanks I have already found lots of good info here.

I know the dash changed, but thats nothing a little fabrication wont take care of, as it is only the mechanicals.

I am just trying to figure out what radio will talk to the truck.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:01 AM
tfowler306
Rookie

Thanks to whom ever posted the service manual in the info section!!!!!!!!!!

a com buss is kind of like a computer network at your place of work. For a computer network the we use TCP/IP as the data format to enable all of our computers to talk to each other, the same is true at home when you get on the internet. For the vehicle the standerd terminology is OBDII that is the standard format (read protocall) for all vehicles after 2000. Then inside each vehicle the manufacturer decides how to make all the components talk to each other. Chrysler uses 3 different types that have evolved as there vehicles have become more complex (J1850, CAN-A, and CAN-B) CAN-A and CAN-B are two wire communications and have different baud rates, and the J1850 (old one) is a one wire comm. see below from the service manual for example of how they use it. This info is inportant to me because the radios are on this buss andwhen the vehicle is equiped with an amp this bussis used to tell the amp what to do i.e. when you change the volume on the radio and you see the numbers on thefront of your radio, the numbers arnt actually in the radio thay are in the amp. So when you trun the volume **** on the radio you are acutally send an message to the amplifier telling its processor to increas volume to thenumber specified on the display, which is a return message from the amp.The company I work for makes the MyGig andInfinity premium audio system for Chrystler.
When the engine is cold, the PCM will operate in Open Loop cycle. It will demand slightly richer air-fuel mixtures
and higher idle speeds. This is done until normal operating temperatures are reached.
The PCM uses inputs from the ECT sensor for the following calculations:
²
for engine coolant temperature gauge operation through CCD or PCI (J1850) communications
²
Injector pulse-width
²
Spark-advance curves
²
ASD relay shut-down times
²
Idle Air Control (IAC) motor key-on steps
²
Pulse-width prime-shot during cranking
²
O2 sensor closed loop times
²
Purge solenoid on/off times
²
EGR solenoid on/off times (if equipped)
²
Leak Detection Pump operation (if equipped)
²
Radiator fan relay on/off times (if equipped)
²
Target idle speed

Old 03-04-2008, 07:06 AM
tfowler306
Rookie

So I found the answer I was looking for.

The 05 Dakota still uses the J1850. so now it is time to start fabricating... well once I pick up my new truck that is...

Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 AM
tfowler306
Rookie

The Premium (RB4) head unit with nav has s/n and thd% numbers that will rival anything on the market, (I am an audio test guy andhave measure many radios and amplifiers for comparison of our products). I can get an RB4for FREE because we make them, and I have access to many flavors of amplifiers that are completely programamble to an infinate degree of tune(multipel crosover points peak filter and so on). I can have up to 12 channels of audio per anplifier (many different configurations from 4ch to 12 ch) and make them be anything I want from a tweeter to a sub. the arrangement and combination of deployment is only limited by my imiganation. For example I have a mustang with 17 speakers I am using 2 Mark Levinson 10ch amplifiers and one Infinity 1200W amp for the big sub (the infinity is being driven from 2 channels of the ML amps), so in each front corner I have a 6.5" that I have assigned low mid range freqs to (80 to 500 hz) and then I have a 4" that runs the High mid 500 to 1.5 khz and then a 3" and a 1" I have 4 speakers in each front corner of the car. and then I have 3 speaker in each corner in the back set set up in a similar configuration, and then 2 10" subs and a 15" sub that take care of the low end. by doing it this way I can time align everything and boost and rtard any speaker control there roll off and overlap as much or little as I want. the system in that car is phenominal...

Quick Reply: Newbee to dakotas have some questions...