3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

CAI Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:24 PM
jtw111
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI Install

Ok, I just installed the AirAid Jr. Kit in my 05 Dak, And after two short trips, My Idle has gone to crap. When I am Idleing in gear it seems ok, but when I shift to park it dips to around 600 rpms and is really groggy. Any suggestions?

Old 03-20-2008, 06:40 PM
herkguy
Veteran
Default RE: CAI Install

is the idle smooth?
what do you mean groggy?

Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you plug that little sensor back in? Also is your check engine light on?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:14 PM
jtw111

No check engine light and when in park after driving it dives up and down. I recently replaced my EGR valve due to it being stuch open and had Idle problems, But I replaced factory plugs with Autolite 3923's and was amazed. Since the CAI install Idle is crap. It doesn't shut off but it acts like it did before the new plugs. Could it just be a computer cycling issue? I.e. a few more start up/shut downs? I am at a loss.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 PM
herkguy
Veteran

Thats strange, I installed the kit on my truck with no issues at all. The kit should not change idle characteristics as there is very little demand for air. Double check that connections are snug(don't overtighten and crack the MIT tube) also check that the rubber gasket around the IAT sensor is installed correct, an air leak would cause a bad idle.
check to be sure that you did not get any debris in the idle air port of the throttle body when you had it apart.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:46 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you had measured IAT and MAP sensor readings
and timed acceleration with the stopwatch built into a cell phone
both before and then after the CAI install
you would be confidently sending the CAI back now
for a refund of your money

if you found a buddy with a similar Dak
and did the 'gold standard' MPG test like Goodyear did below
(just pump out the remaining gasoline from the tank rather than having special tanks)
you would also be confident
there is no MPG gain from a CAI

----
The right way to do it
Goodyear goes by the book with Fuel Max test

When Goodyear introduced its new Unisteel tires with Fuel Max technology last year, and claimed that they were more fuel-efficient than its older designs, the company invited the press to come to its San Angelo Proving Grounds in Texas and observe an SAE/TMC Type II fuel consumption test, pitting old against new.

In this case, two identical tractor-trailers — a control rig and a test rig with the same powertrain, mileage, horsepower, GCW, tires, pressure, etc. — were fitted with removable, portable fuel tanks, which were weighed before and after identical runs of at least 28 miles at the exact same highway speed. Fuel consumption was measured by tank weight, and the two rigs were compared as a baseline. Three runs, which must produce results within 2 percent of each other, were made. In this case, the two rigs’ fuel consumption figures were consistently within 1 percent of each other.

Next, the test was repeated, with the control rig unchanged, and the test truck fitted with the component to be tested — in this case, the new tires. Over the course of three runs, with results within 2 percent of each other, the test truck had consumed about 7.5 percent less fuel per run.

Claim made, point proved, case closed.
from this very good article:

http://www.etrucker.com/apps/news/article.asp?id=60421

notice that Mythbusters TV show has taken to doing MPG tests similar to the Goodyear one.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:35 PM
herkguy
Veteran

thats great, but what about the idle question? What do you think would cause it to be lower and rough, I think thats what he's looking for.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Mahadigus
Rookie

The idle has to be caused by something not connected correctly. there is no way that you would go from a smooth running truck to one that runs like crap if all that was done is an air intake. I would double check everything that was done and also make sure nothing was damaged or disconnected while installing the intake...and if all of that checks out take it to the dealer and have them monitor the truck with the starscan to see whats up.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Racinartist
All Star

If this was an actual AirRaid CAI and not just the flat filter swap, did you diconnect the battery and let the computer reset itself?

Old 03-21-2008, 06:13 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

correct, you need to reset the computer. unplug the neg battery cable. turn ignition key all the way and hold for 20 sec. then go out and hook battery cable back up. start and stop truck 3 times. on the third time leave truck running for abour 5 minutes then take it for a drive, it should have learned the new paramiters by then, if not then it will take about 200 miles

Quick Reply: CAI Install