3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

LED Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Starlord
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LED Bulbs

Thank you for asking. I am planning to replace most of the lights with the LEDs. I did some experimenting with LEDs when I was younger, but didn't see much future for them besides pilot lights or such. Now I see police cars with LED top lights, and semis that have had all of their lights converted to LEDs that use less power than just one incandescant bulb. The big thing to me is the brake lights. Using the LEDs at highway speed, when you step on the brake pedal, the LEDs come on 66 feet sooner than the old bulbs. There is no warm-up period, they are on instantly. In addition, LEDs last seemingly forever. I am sold on LEDs. I even hear that they are replacing even the new CFLs.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:12 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice man. I am gonna look into the brake light scheme now that you showed us the awesome site, rear brake lights and the 3rd high brake light

Old 04-16-2008, 01:42 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

LEDs are the next big technology for backlit screens used in laptops, monitors, TVs. They use less energy and are brighter than LCD or Plasma...

The new MacBook Pros come with LED backlighting...my next purchase

Old 04-16-2008, 02:36 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: ericemery

LED has always been the best way to save energy as far as lighting goes... but the brightness is what I like. I am a little concerned about the back up lights though... anyone have any input as to if they are bright enough to actually see while your backing up?
Thats what I am curious about. I don't want to spend$20forthe pair and them not be as bright as the conventional. Definently going for the brake lightsthough

Old 04-16-2008, 11:31 PM
jimboscomp
All Star

ORIGINAL: ericemery

LED has always been the best way to save energy as far as lighting goes... but the brightness is what I like. I am a little concerned about the back up lights though... anyone have any input as to if they are bright enough to actually see while your backing up?
nope. the lense is diffused, which in turn diffuses the lighting of the LED bulbs. LEDs look brighter because the light is directional, however they aren't technically brighter, just different ways of emitting light. If you go with LED backup bulbs, I'd say get a separate pair of halogens for actually backup bulbs to help you see at night. when I got my rear flashers, I got external halogens to help me see...now I dont have those anymore, but I know they also make some that fit onto hitch receivers that are actually pretty bright.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:29 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimbo did you get the 3W high output LED's for the back ups or the lower powered ones? I have a 3W LED bulb in my Maglite and with as incredibly bright as that is I find it hard to imagine those wouldn't be brighter than the stock back up lights.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 PM
jimboscomp
All Star

Well there's a difference between the 3w LEDs for your truck and the ones they make for the maglites. The ones for the truck have 3 individual 1w bulbs on them, and are manufactured differently. The ones in the maglite, would make a pair of bulbs for our trucks about $60/pair. They're two different types of LEDs. And yes I do have the high power ones on my truck.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Starlord

Hi, again, everyone. Well, it looks as if I am not going to be using LEDs in our Dak. I received the 3157 bulbs, and ran into the oddest problem I have ever heard of. When the LED bulbs were plugged into the sockets, nothing was turned on, there should have been no current flowing anywahere. Right? The led bulbs lit up, at low intensity, and when I turned the parking lights on, there was no change. I had Krystal step on the brake pedal and then turn on the hazard flashers, and there was still no change. I am waiting now for a return authorization number so I can get a refund. Thank you all, anyway.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jimboscomp

Well there's a difference between the 3w LEDs for your truck and the ones they make for the maglites. The ones for the truck have 3 individual 1w bulbs on them, and are manufactured differently. The ones in the maglite, would make a pair of bulbs for our trucks about $60/pair. They're two different types of LEDs. And yes I do have the high power ones on my truck.
Shouldn't be that expensive, I think the maglite bulb was $15 or so, maybe less.

Also for the 3w bulb I was thinking of these:

Quick Reply: LED Bulbs