3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Looking at New Tires...thoughts???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:46 AM
MoparPower00
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at New Tires...thoughts???

Ok guyz and galz....

I currently have the stock Goodyear SR-A 17's on my 2005...and they SUCK!!!!

On my last Dak (1996) they came with Goodyears obviously...but I bought it used, and that guy had put on Firestone Wilderness AT's...the ones that got recalled, they were replaced with Bridgestone Duehlers....no luck with thoses after 35K....got some UniRoyal Tiger Paws...shot after another 30K....THIS TIRE ****S NOT CHEAP! LOL!!!! Finally got some good luck with the final set before selling the truck...Cooper H/T's.

On the new truck with the 17's I can't decide...any input would be great.

I've seen good ratings on the Coopers, also wondering about the Goodyear SilentArmour, or the Firestone Wilderness AT's...all based off of tirerack.com.

Thanks for any help!!!

MoparPower00

Old 04-15-2008, 11:32 AM
importkiller76
Veteran
Default RE: Looking at New Tires...thoughts???

Ok well it depends on what kind of tire you are looking for and what you are going to be using the truck for. If you are like me and use your truck as an all purpose daily driver/hunting rig/towing/offroad/anything else, you are probably going to need an all around tire. I personally recommend the BFG All Terrain KO's, I have a set on my truck and have had them on other trucks and they have never let me down. I have also run cooper mud tires and they were also pretty good. I have also heard good things about the Mickey Thompson Baja All Terrain Tire.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:55 AM
MoparPower00
Rookie

Yes...looking for an "all purpose" tire....something good for the road, but also hunting, towing, etc. Nothing that's going to be wore down and wear out easily just by driving down the road.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

my dad and my best friend used to have BFG All Terrain TAKOs. dad switched to Toyo Open Country A/Ts and then my best friend followed my dad. dad has an f250 4 door long bed 4x4, best friend has a z71....they both like it much more than the TAKOs....around christmas i got new tires, and what did i decide to try, the Toyo Open Country All Terrain. I love it. it handles great during regular driving and i was very impressed with how they did this winter in the snow. i do a lot of hunting. i dont go "off roading" but i am definatly off the road A LOT. they handle great. im tellin you, and i know im the only one that i know of here with them, but i love them. my dad is past the 70k mile marker on them and there is plenty of life left. they do come with a 50,000 gaurantee...

here is a pic of what they look like

Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 PM
pickle

Hey,my 2006 came with GY's too,sold them and got some BFG A/T T/A's,seem to be a great tire.Also the new Michelin LT A/T'2 are a good alround tire too, great in the snow and ice ,plus they have an aggessive tread pattern too,ran them on my old truck and would have got them this time too but they were back ordered 4 weeks and I wasn,t waiting.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:05 PM
QCDAKblue
Veteran

I think you may like the GY Fortera tripple treads. Also right now at Sears you get a mail in rebate of 40 bucks. I have the GY fotera HLs and I love them!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 PM
bkjtimp
Veteran

The "new" GY Wranger Silent Armor look like an awesome set of tires as well.... Pricey but look/rate great...

Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 AM
swheels

i have toyo open country a/t and love them i have 40 000 on them and just as good as new and good in snow and water uphere in alberta canada and there great

Old 04-17-2008, 06:38 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

Firestone Destination Le great all around tire, awsome in rain!