3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Exhaust Tip/AirAid/KN Products-WANT MORE RUMBLE??!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:20 PM
MoparPower00
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Tip/AirAid/KN Products-WANT MORE RUMBLE??!!!!

Ok....there's Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Dodge even has there's. Don't have dual exhaust on my truck....just looking at tips.

So which way is the best to go?

I know a few of you on here have the Dodge/Mopar Exhaust Tip directly from Dodge....with just the tip, is it a pretty deep tone out of the truck or is it kinda blah?

I want some good tone and sound, without having to go to muffler exchangeand/or having to putdual exhaust.

I've heard good things about the AirAid throttle body spacer and there air intakes too....do them help out any with more rumble....hell I'll even throw the gas milage in there....they help that much?

Just lookin for some ideas!

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Night_Runner
Champion
Default RE: Exhaust Tip/AirAid/KN Products-WANT MORE RUMBLE??!!!!

it sounds like you think a tip will change the tone of your exhaust note....if thats what your thinking....you wrong buddy

Old 04-28-2008, 07:47 PM
SilverGhost1
All Star

MoparPower, if you want good tone, either get rid of the big hunk of a stock muffler that you have and put a straight pipe there in it's place (this will run you about $50.00) or change the stock muffler to a Flowmaster or a Magnaflow or a Cherry Bomb (this will run you about $150.00). At that point decide whether you want the rear resonator on or not. On my '06, I changed the muffler switch to a Flowmaster and kept the rear resonator on. It sounded good outside and hardly any cab noise.

So unless you just worded your post incorrectly, there ain't no tip in this world that will change the sound of your exhaust.

As far as the intake? I had a K&N Series 63 on my '06 and I have an Airaid 300-175 on my '07. Not much a difference between the two at all. But it does give better airflow and pick-up to the truck. Plus it sounds nice. The advantage to the Airaid for me, is that my wife and I are moving back to San Diego later this year and the Airaid Intake is street and smog legal in California where the K&N Series 63 is not. But all in all, there is no difference between the two. When it comes to gas mileage? Well, if you ask some it helps and others, no change. For me? On secondary and town roads? No difference at all. On the freeway? Maybe 1 - 2 mpg improvement. So you are looking at a 0.5-1 mpg net gain if you drive on both evenly.

Hope that answers your question...and please remember, exhaust tips are for looks, not for sound improvement.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally like Thrush mufflers. I had a thrush glasspack on my old van and it sounded pretty good. I see they just put out a new stainless steel one that looks pretty good too you might look into that.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

i have borla, love it. not for everyone though

Old 04-28-2008, 09:48 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

get the dam magnaflow i highly encourage who ever has a dak to get it, hell i encourage every truck owner to get it, mine alone has made 2 other people buy it already

Old 04-29-2008, 02:40 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty partial to my Cherry Bomb Vortex myself, get a lot of compliments on the sound (single exit before rear wheel, removed both resonators)

Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

SLOWMASTER 40!

And yeah...muffler tips changing your exhaust note are like racing stripes adding 10 HP, except racing stripes actually work.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:19 AM
snipingdude
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm I have a Flowmaster Force II..pretty loud too, nice gainin power as well,just revving it up rumbles the block lol...

Yeah muffler tips are no-go, like cramerica said about racing stripes adding 10hp, except my Autobot Badges add 35 HP

Old 04-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

I also have the Force 2 by flowmaster. I did have just a straight pipe that replace the muffler. With the straight pipe and both resonators, it sounded MEAN. The tone died down with the flowmaster install and the subsequent removal of the second resonator, but it still sounds good.

When I removed the muffler at work and drove the truck to the exhaust shop with just straight pipe, it sounded AWESOME...but i could see it becoming annoying rather quickly.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tip/AirAid/KN Products-WANT MORE RUMBLE??!!!!