3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

IMPORTANT!! Monroe front struts now available for 2005 Dak.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:41 AM
djsilver
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IMPORTANT!! Monroe front struts now available for 2005 Dak.

ORIGINAL: djsilver

I just ordered both fronts and rears from Auto Barn. I found a valid promotional code by searching on line (SPRING08 is worth $10 off). Free shipping and the total for all 4 was $241.80. I'll do my own fronts but i'll be using 2 pairs of spring compressors. As mentioned in another thread, the front spring rateis close to 500lb/in!
I've got my '05 monroe shocks on my '06 Dakota and it rides much better now! The only advice I'll give out is to unlock the new struts and let them extend before you take your old ones apart. I jacked my truck up, removed & re-assembled the left side with no drama. I then removed and disassembled the right side but ran into a little problem. When I twisted the shaft on the second strut to release it nothing happened...., It had no gas pressure. Autobarn told me to call Monroe; They gave me their P.O. number (after I asked for it) With the P.O. number handy Monroe pulled the order up and had me a replacement in hand in 2 days. Still, I had to put the right side back together with the old one so I could get it out of wifey's garage, then do it all over again when the new one came in.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:06 AM
ThunderStick
Rookie

And it's About Damn Time!

Have finallyacquired Monroe shocks for my '05 Dakota. Had them installed at the local repair shop two blocks up the street.

What a difference the change has made. No more dipping, diving and bouncing that was making any driver orrider feel they were on a boat. I like my Dakota a little bit more now. (Now, if we just had some way of creating more ground clearance.........ie: suspension lift........)

Was it worth the wait? Well, we were forced to wait by the aftermarket people and Monroe.I guess Bilstein is still "developing" theirs. Taking four model years to get a decent shock absorber is a sad thing to ponder.

Just my $0.02 worth

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!

Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ThunderStick

I guess Bilstein is still "developing" theirs. Taking four model years to get a decent shock absorber is a sad thing to ponder.

Just my $0.02 worth

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!
Actually Bilstein cancelled development on the grounds that making shocks for our trucks wouldn't be profitable. That's the line I got the last time I called (which was shortly after Monroe released).

Old 07-04-2008, 12:47 PM
LB
Veteran

Anyone have the Monroe's with the TM leveling kit on a 4X4?

Would like to hear feedback on the ride.

Thanks,
LB

Old 07-05-2008, 10:05 AM
themoneyshot
Rookie

just put the monroes with the leveling kit under the strut mount yesterday. seems to ride okay. a little stiffer and and alot less bounce.

we have left and right coils. i would still like to know what would happen if we switched them.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:39 AM
LB
Veteran

Under the strut mount meaning in the strut compressing the spring "new method"
or under the strut mount on the frame "original method"?

Thanks for the feedback,
LB

Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 PM
themoneyshot
Rookie

the new method

Old 09-04-2008, 01:31 AM
harrymac
Post Update on availability & price

I realize this is getting to be an old thread but thought I'd update with results of my research today:

Monroe's on-line catalogue now lists lists part #71100 for "2005 - 2007 All - Inc.Club Cab & Quad Cab" Same part for 2WD and 4WD.

Auto Barn lists in stock @ $79.95 each, free shipping with coupon code "DOGDAY08".
Shock Warehouse lists in stock @ $87.58 each, plus shipping.

Rancho also lists front shocks for 2005/06 - presumably would fit 2007 as well. Their part number is RS5757 and Shock Warehouse lists them for $98.34 each, plus shipping.

Now if I could just find a Canadian supplier with any of these in stock, I'd be in business.

HMD

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT!! Monroe front struts now available for 2005 Dak.