3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Renamed: Trailmaster kit contributes to the death of my rack..

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:52 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Trail Master Leveling kit not holding up...

Are you still offering the TM kit? I would be more than happy to pay for the shipping.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:00 PM
NJJer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the u-bolt kit for the V6 truck if anyone needs them cheap. Got stuck with them after a ceratin company "bent me over" with their kit.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:09 PM
NJJer
Veteran

cramerica,

Being a Tech, I love to "talk" with engineers.

Seems that at times, being on the other side of things gives me a differant perspective than "you". I am not trying to start anything with anyone, just point out that we see things from other angles. )I know this all to well, GF's father is an engineer for many years and still lives "in theory".)

Now my point:

You talked about lateral movement of the tierod and how if set at a level plain, there should be none. I have to dissagree with you here.

The outer tierod ends are tapered, and depending on whether they are inserted into the opening in the spindle assy. from top or bottom, will determine whether or not they want to move up or down when a side force is applied.

Now I know they are mounted in there tight, but you must take in account that the joint flexes and this allows said movement.

Insert one in loose, and leave the nut off, turn the wheels and watch if pop right off.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:40 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: ericemery

thats true, but it isnt how the design was "intended".

The intended design is most certainly level. giving the fact that these are massed produced vehicles and assembled by robotic arms... The tapered ends are easy to install since a minor variation in orientation would still be sufficient for installation; since the tapered piece would "slide" into the proper position upon entry of the assembly.

but that is all pure speculation and based solely upon alcohol and the lack of food...
NICE....hahaha

Old 06-06-2008, 12:58 AM
jtswkd

I'm a Civil Engineer, and one thing you have to understand Nj is that almost all engineers have to do one thing before they look at a problem. They have to make assumptions! So assuming the part was put in correctly, it wasn't designed with the forces described in mind which would possibly cause it to fail in a way not intended by the designer.

I hate not being to sleep!

Old 06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IE sucks
Crap just wrote a butt load response and IE screwed up on me. Oh well not as detailed as before but here:

NJ I'm a M.E. and I'd have to disagree with you. Just for the simple fact that the vertical forces are carried through the taper end. If you were to stick a bolt through instead you'd see horizontal shearing forces as the vertical forces are contained by the nut and bolt.

Since a horizontal force isn't the issue I'll continue with my "theory." I wouldn't place blame on the TM kit or suspect that it contributed. The TM kit properly installeddoesn't push the suspension geometry outside of its original design. It merely increase the spring rate and the strut is still allowed to travel the same as it would have without the kit. I would be more likely to fault RC's kit simply b/c itrelocates the strut 2" down and still allows the strut to travel within its design rather than limiting it.

That's just my 2 cent (plus a dollar for gas tax purposes )

Old 06-06-2008, 09:57 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: studlyblueiz

IE sucks
Crap just wrote a butt load response and IE screwed up on me. Oh well not as detailed as before but here:

NJ I'm a M.E. and I'd have to disagree with you. Just for the simple fact that the vertical forces are carried through the taper end. If you were to stick a bolt through instead you'd see horizontal shearing forces as the vertical forces are contained by the nut and bolt.

Since a horizontal force isn't the issue I'll continue with my "theory." I wouldn't place blame on the TM kit or suspect that it contributed. The TM kit properly installeddoesn't push the suspension geometry outside of its original design. It merely increase the spring rate and the strut is still allowed to travel the same as it would have without the kit. I would be more likely to fault RC's kit simply b/c itrelocates the strut 2" down and still allows the strut to travel within its design rather than limiting it.

That's just my 2 cent (plus a dollar for gas tax purposes )

Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the heck is goin on with DF. Other forums are fine for me. Anyhow...I'm writing this for the 4th time:

Eric you're right....what was I thinking...with 99 degree temp in NC today I should charge more. So tomorrow's gonna be 102 so expect some inflation guys as the garage is no cooler for this walk.

Quick Reply: Renamed: Trailmaster kit contributes to the death of my rack..