3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

TSB - updated rear brake shoes???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:39 PM
hlpruner
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TSB - updated rear brake shoes???

ORIGINAL: mprohr

The numbers werereally hard to see on mine...due to rust. A mild ScotchBrite pad and magnifying glass might help.
"Numbers? I'll assume thatboth axles should have the letter M, is this correct? If so you were correct in sayingdon'ttrust the dealer to verify they were the correct axles.I only see onewith the M.

hlpruner

Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is correct. Both should have the M. hlpruner, Just curious, are you the original owner? If not, my guess is your truck has been in for the original TSB...that didn't fix it. That would make this a pre-existing condition

Old 07-18-2008, 01:29 PM
hlpruner
Amateur

ORIGINAL: mprohr

That is correct. Both should have the M. hlpruner, Just curious, are you the original owner? If not, my guess is your truck has been in for the original TSB...that didn't fix it. That would make this a pre-existing condition
I purchased itused ~1 month ago. I ask the service advisortoreviewthe TSBand the one incorrect axle with his service manager this morning and let me know how they intend to handle this problem.... especially sincemy contractcovers the axles & labor. As a side note, when I calledthe service advisor and let him know that only one axle had the 'M'. Hestated the following... 'I dont understandjust how an axle could cause the braking vibration'. I told him apparently Chrysler knows,refer totheir TSB and call them if you have any questions : )

I'll be sure to mention 'pre-existing condition'to the service manager when they reply withthere decision on how they intend to resolve this issue. Especially since they wasted my time and didn't properly check the axles at my previous visit.

I'd even be willing to split the price ofthe upgraded shoes/ hardware kit to help ensure the vibration isgone, if the price was reasonable (i.e. dealercost not retail). If labor is their issue,justsell me the damn kit at cost andIdo the work myself... it's not that difficult.

Thanks again mprohr
hlpruner

Old 07-23-2008, 07:58 AM
hlpruner
Amateur

Time toclosing this thread.... brake shudder & vibration are nowcompletely gone
I actually had two different issues causing the problem....

1)Braking vibration at medium to high speeds coming from the rear. Resolved by performingTSB 05-002-06. FYI: Although axles would have been covered,3 different dealerswouldnot cover thecost of the revised brake kit & drums being turned ($251). Both Axles did have the M, one was so faint that I could notsee it even after cleaning rust andusing a magnifying glass.Dealerre-inspected and confirmed the M wasthereand I verified it as well. Rear brake shuddergone, but high speed vibration was still there????

2)Overall vibration at speeds >45mph:Resolved by replacing all4 OEM tiers withPepboys - Definity Dakota /HT P25570R16 (Cooper Tires),$487 after rebate. FYI: Balancing the OEMs and checking for run-out had no affect.Damn Goodyears still had ~8-10K left on them and rotating the spare around also had no affect.

Thanks again to mprohr and others here on DF for all your help.
DF Rocks!

hlpruner

Quick Reply: TSB - updated rear brake shoes???