3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

TSB - updated rear brake shoes???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:11 PM
hlpruner
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSB - updated rear brake shoes???

Prior to taking my Dakin to the dealer, Itookthe drums in to a local shop to have themturned, and see if this made an improvement. No change was noted, so I thought I let the dealer verify axles, TSBs, etc. Axles were ok according to the service manager, but I needed my drums turned??? Considering that I just had them turned 4 days ago, their obviously just reading their TSB and not actually checking. According to them turning drums and installing new shoes was $240. You gotta be kidding me! When I ask why so much, he indicated to me that the brakekit was notcovered under warranty (except for under 12/12), therefore my cost would be approaching $250 for them to put on a set of shoes.

Service manager could not explain why the high cost or what was special about the brake kit. Do I let them soak me for $220 for these special shoes, or would you simply try another pair ofaftermarket shoes. hlp

Old 07-14-2008, 05:23 PM
SilverGhost1
All Star
Default RE: TSB - updated rear brake shoes???

I would take it to another dealer. Most '05 and '06 Daks require the TSB repair. They are obligated to fix it according to the TSB statement at no cost to you.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:48 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.procutinternational.com/p...otaMay2006.pdf

If you are having a severe vibration issue that seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle. Go to the website above to see TSB 05-002-06. Pay close attention to the part regarding the axle stamping. Pull the rear wheels off and look to see if you have an M. Actually, you need to see####M, IF THERE IS NO M, YOU HAVE THEWRONG AXLES. On my '06, one axle had no M, and the other was M####. They were both bad. AND the original TSB had already been performed at 8000 miles. I got mine off-lease and apparantly inherited a problem that the original Leasee did not care to fix. After having the TSB FULLY completed, the issue was solved. I bought my truck with 36,500 miles....500 miles out of warrenty. I went to my local dealer so heavily armed with info that they agreed to perform the TSB under warrenty for a $100 deductible. I smiled

Old 07-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Rayzuli
Amateur

I don´t know if this will help, but I have just bought brake shoes and the rear drum brake kit from RockAuto.com for no more than 60 USD and they are Raybestos. I hope to be able to change them this next weekend.

Greetings.

Rayzuli.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:58 AM
hlpruner
Amateur

mprohr thanks for the info and the TSB link. I saw you earlier post about the M on the axle and thats why I took it into the dealer and referenced this TSB #. They verified theaxles were ok and were head-strongaboutthe statement in the TSB... [Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty] statingthat my 7yr/100K extended Chrysler Service Contract does not cover pads, shoes, drums, rotors. Iread manycomments here on DF about the owners getting the statement, Sorry not covered unless under 12yr/12K. Glad to hear your dealer was understanding and wanted your business.

ThanksSilverGhost1 & Rayzuli,Guess I'll trying another dealer and see if they will cooperate. But first,I plan on installing theRaybestos shoes & hardware kit that I just arrived from Rock Auto ($62). I originally took the dak into the dealer for another issue (engine knock)and had hoped that this TSB would be addressed and paid under my service contract.

hlp

[IMG]local://upfiles/90845/6DF6660C77D746DD8DC070393BB913CC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 AM
mprohr
All Star

Did YOU verify that they were the right axles? I would not trust what the dealer tells you.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:35 AM
hlpruner
Amateur

ORIGINAL: mprohr

Did YOU verify that they were the right axles? I would not trust what the dealer tells you.
I will be verifying that tonight when I install the RockAuto brake shoes & hardware kit.

FYI: Parts departments confirmed that the "brake kit" 05191790AA containsreplacement shoes & hardware kit, but it is also was made to convert the "1 springbrake assy" to a "2 spring assy" (apparently there were two different versions and theService dept. is unaware of thisinfo.) Back when I initially ask, the same parts departmentlisted two kits,depending on which version you had(1 vs. 2 springs). Now they list only one kit, the 2 spring version for both. Sounds likea brake design change to me. Dealer, service & extended service contract folks all confirmed... service contracts & warranty will conver the cost only ifyou’re under the 12yr/12K.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
mprohr
All Star

The numbers werereally hard to see on mine...due to rust. A mild ScotchBrite pad and magnifying glass might help.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:32 PM
viper359
Professional

mprohr

You are a god. I posted about my shudder when braking a week or so ago. NOW I KNOW THE PROBLEM. This was a former Dodge company truck, built end of 05, these asswipes never did this TSB. You rock, I cannot wait to drop this on the service managers lap.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:14 PM
mprohr
All Star

I'm here to help. My OCD kicked in hard over this particular issue. This is what I took to the dealer:

1) About 50 pages worth of forum posts on the problem.
2) TSB 05-002-06
3) Wrote down the axle numbers
4) Original service records showing the original -05 TSB had been performed, but not the -06 (Idid a car-fax report to find that all the service had been performed at a dealership in Wisconsin)
5) Car-fax and NADAvehicle history reports. There was a mileage discrepancy at the time of lease return. One said 31,000 (in warrenty) the other said 36,036 (out of warrenty by 36 miles)

The service manager I worked with was great...and he was quickly convinced. Called the next day to tell me it would be covered.

Quick Reply: TSB - updated rear brake shoes???