3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 DAK BALL JOINTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:26 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericemery
I would keep an eye on it regardless of if they are tight or not... Dodge has had this problem for a long time... most of you should have known that going in. (not trying to bust *****, but come on. its been like that for 10 years or so!)

Well thats just the thing. Alot of people dont really know this stuff. I had no idea that ball joints were an issue until not too long ago, when never-again dodge owners started telling me about there second gen dakotas, or ram, or durango...or ANY dodge.

The ball joints should'nt be an issue unless they are destroyed from abuse. Ball joints were never done on my fathers 265,000 miles 1985 toyota 4x4, or his 110,000 mile ranger. Or, any car we have ever owned, lol. Quality control is low, parts are cheap. The quality just isnt there. I have an engine that sounds like a diesel, Ive had a new steering rack put in, and two intermediate shafts, new clock spring, new ECU.

I still like the truck actually, it's just that the list is starting to get pretty long for repairs, and it hasnt even been driven over 30k yet. If ball joints go after my waranty is up, I'm going to be pretty unhappy with the truck as a whole.

I read into this whole balljoint investigation for the durango and dakota, and most independent mechanics point to improper/lack of lubrication in the sealed joint. It's just a cheap, cut corner part. Poor metals from god knows where, lack of lubrication, no way to lubricate it (which would be fine if it was built and lubed properly).

Why would anyone ever want to replace these with more OEM junk ball joints again? Pumping some grease into these things with a grease pin adapter through the boot and sealing them up might be a good idea.

A sealed ball joint is supposed to have some "long life" grease that is different then the standard grease that you use on a ball joint with a zerk, but lets be serious, these ball joints are hardly lubed at the factory.

You cant give me that "all cars need to be maintained on a regular basis." That's true, but a Dodge needs to be serviced more frequently, because it's built with parts that are subpar at best.

Quick Reply: 05 DAK BALL JOINTS