3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Just bought an 06 Dak

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Nyyank33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought an 06 Dak

Loha folks. Been lurking here the last week or so. On the 23rd I got an 06 Dak SLT Quad 4x4 v6 with 48K miles on it, ran me 16K at the dealership. Yay for financing though, wound up having to finance 21K w/ warranty, 1 grand negative equity, taxes, etc.

I compare my truck to my work truck a 04 Single cab Silverado V8 so far it's seeming to be a decent little truck, but I noticed a few things:

-Do they all turn this funny? It's like below 50 or so the steering is really responsive, but past that there is a bit of resistance when I turn more then, hrm, say I drive with my left hand at 10 there's resistance at 9 or so. Not much, but enough for me to notice and have to turn slightly harder. I thought at first maybe the 4 wheel drive was stuck on, nada. If the slight resistance isn't normal due to, I dunno to maybe the longer truck bed or something, what can I do to fix it? Using P245/70r16 On/Off Road Bsw Tires according to the invoice sheet they gave me.

-The TSBs. How can I tell if my truck has had any of the TSBs done with it, and which would you say are the must have? Looked through carfax and didnt see any servicing stick out, dunno if that'd show anyway.

-Great acceleration up to 50 or so, once you get above that, mashing the pedal to the floor doesn't really have a ton of pickup.

-Gas mileage, averaging 16-17 with mixed use, maybe 10 miles city, 30 miles highway 70-80 mph a day.

Anyhow, if anyone could give me a heads up I'd appreciate that.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for the acceleration, on the highway turn on tow/haul mode before you stomp on it, it'll downshift and you'll accelerate great.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Nyyank33

Sweet, thanks Altair. So I shouldn't be worried about slower acceleration that high?

I'll make an idiot of myself I'm sure and ask a million more questions, I know next to jack about vehicles, I'm more of a computer nerd, but since we bought this house last Dec. I needed to get a truck.

I'm planning on swapping out the spark plugs, getting a new air intake, new exhaust, probably a few other things. My buddy from work's got a Durango he's done a crap load of work to, probably just going to let him do most of the work while I learn.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:53 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome aboard DF NYYANK, you'll enjoy it here and all. We have fun, and atleast one of us knows something if the other doesnt. Ask away, we will help, and we may jab at ya once in awhile but only in good fun

Old 08-31-2008, 05:28 PM
fireman2828
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to a great forum....I have an 05 quad 4x4 V-8. It accelerates pretty fast from any speed. Been averaging 16mpg mostly city and towing trailer, and blowing doors off chevies. Took some getting used to my steering also. Very responsive. 4th Dakota I've owned and I really like it so far.. Have fun and mod mod mod....

Old 08-31-2008, 06:02 PM
SilverGhost1
All Star

Welcome to the Forum and don;t be a sfraid to ask questions. Also, good move on the plugs. Get the Autolite 3923's. They work the best in our engines according to a lot of guys (and gals) on here.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:40 AM
blkmagic
Professional

Welcome...go to a Dodge dealership, they can run your VIN and tell you what recalls and TSB's have been performed on your truck. They can also print out your build sheet to show you exactly what was built into the truck. Hanging out here, hang on to your "Master Blaster", these folks can get you in trouble....hehehehehe

Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 AM
whiteram00
Captain

and remember ur comparing the v-6 vs ur work truck v-8,my reg 4.7 output does a dam good job on accelrating an high end

Old 09-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Nyyank33

True. Guess I just got used to the Silverado's hog of an engine. Then again, the damned thing gets 8-11 mpg too, lol. I wouldn't be caught dead driving that as my personal truck.

I almost bought a 08 Silverado, but they tried to bait and switch me. loaded out tricked out truck, sticker showed 18K, at the shop it on the truck 18K. They do the paperwork, literally touched the pen to paper, and saw 25K. They claimed the price online wasn't correct, and I had to literally show them myself. I've had nothing but trouble out of GM vehicles, if not for my Equinox, I'd never touch them again.

Vehicle ****: 06 Dak, 07 Equinox LT loaded out hard, lawn mower I picked up, god knows how old, rednecked it up with a racing stripe and paint, lol.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
All vehicles .jpg (44.6 KB, 10 views)

Quick Reply: Just bought an 06 Dak