3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

In the shop!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:19 AM
RonnusTwo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry tankmechus, i didn't even know there was a reply. but a big YES to your question - have the 2" kit installed at the same time, and I'm sure it was also take care of the tire rub. my tires are 70s not 75s, but there's plenty of clearance with that level kit.
As for the bad rack, I think only one guy on this board mentioned that. My truck has a "clank" or a "snap" noise every so often in the steering, and it had that long before my TM kit.
And if i have the local shop grease up to steering real good, the clank/snap goes away for a while.
The only issue I remember with the TM kit was having it installed - like many on this board posted, the nut that would need to be removed might require a few good whacks with a mallet to get it off. My mechanic almost gave up on me until I mentioned all of the GREAT tips I've read on this board. And sure enough he got it installed.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:22 AM
RonnusTwo
Professional

OH - and if anyone here is still pondering changing the plugs - they were easy to do, and after a week or two of driving with them, my idle is finally back to normal (after my TB install) and the truck runs just awesome. I've even had a compliment on how my exhaust sounds great - and this was from a woman with a 2008 Mustang Shelby GT...
it seemed to make it sound a bit louder and racier

Old 09-21-2008, 08:35 AM
fireman2828
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mind if I ask what you paid to get the leveling kit installed? Thinking about doing it myself, but don't want to deal with that much work right now. My friend has a shelby mustang and my dodge sounds like it would eat it up.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 AM
RonnusTwo
Professional

I had it installed at the same time that I had four tires put on...
they included it in the labor, and they probably charged me $120 to do it I'm sure...
I stopped going to this particular mechanic after he wanted to charge me $120 to swap out my stabilizer links...
my new mechanic charged me $30 for the stabilizer links swap...

Old 09-26-2008, 09:00 AM
tankmechus
Rookie
Default RonnusTwo

I found some info on howstuffworks.com about common issues with our trucks. I read something and remembered what you had said about your steering pop. On there it said that one of the common problems with the 05 Dak is that it might have a snapping or clicking noise coming from the steering column due to a defective upper bearing retainer. Didn't know if this would be helpful to you or not. I'll link it here if ya wanna check it out.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...e-dakota-2.htm

Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 AM
RonnusTwo
Professional

I haven't had any issues since the level kit was installed. My sway bar links were shot already at that time, and I already had a steering issue before that too, some type of snap noise when turning lock to lock.
I've seen that post you mention about the bad rack, and he's the only guy I've seen on this board with that problem as related to the TM kit.
I truthfully don't think it was the kit, because many others have the TM kit and are trouble free. Probably just a bad luck coincidence situation.
and yes, do it all at the same time

Quick Reply: In the shop!!