3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

TM Leveling Kit...NEW!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:04 AM
tankmechus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TM Leveling Kit...NEW!

So, I found out through another thread and from TM's website that their new leveling kit is a 1.5" that I believe mounts over the strut mount somehow. Anyone on here installed the new kit, and if so, how hard was it to install?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Cuban11182
All Star

I heard they did that. I plan on having my 2" ones shaved down by my fathers buddy when I return to the states.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spring compressor part is fun, especially when you jam the one you rented from Napa in there and crank it down all the way and still can't compress it enough

I'm confident in my current TM spacer installed inside the strut, even the service manager at the dealer said he didn't see how it would hurt anything installed that way (aside from maybe blowing the shocks faster which is going to happen anyway). By the time I'm ready to take it out she'll be getting the lowering shackles instead.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:59 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

You watching **** or thinking about shot shocks?

Old 09-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional

Originally Posted by ericemery
yeah, the new one is over the strut... That keeps the angles closer to stock for the 4x4 guys.

as far as install goes, some say its easy, others say a nightmare... I am guessing it depends on mechanical aptitude and familiarity with suspension components.

The spring compressor is what scares a lot of the guys.
Wasn't this the method used for the first revision? I'm kinda lost now.. I remember TM saying this 'wasn't a good way to do it'..then came the 2nd version.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericemery
wow, raise, lower, raise, lower
No it's more like raise, still shorter than a stock fullsize, flip truck, decide lower center of gravity would be nice plus if I'm gonna be lower than a 1500 anyway might as well go with it and go low. Long term plans for this one is street performance with handling to match. Maybe I'll pick up a new Ram sometime as my daily runabout (I wish, lol. Someone give me a winning lottery ticket )

Damn Dirty Ape, yeah it is, at first the spacer was mounted on top, then they issued new directions to install in the strut, still the same part though. Now apparently they've shaved it down and it mounts on top again, I'm guessing too many people were still putting it on top (since the kits still came with the necessary hardware) on 4x4's and having trouble.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional

Originally Posted by Altair
No it's more like raise, still shorter than a stock fullsize, flip truck, decide lower center of gravity would be nice plus if I'm gonna be lower than a 1500 anyway might as well go with it and go low. Long term plans for this one is street performance with handling to match. Maybe I'll pick up a new Ram sometime as my daily runabout (I wish, lol. Someone give me a winning lottery ticket )

Damn Dirty Ape, yeah it is, at first the spacer was mounted on top, then they issued new directions to install in the strut, still the same part though. Now apparently they've shaved it down and it mounts on top again, I'm guessing too many people were still putting it on top (since the kits still came with the necessary hardware) on 4x4's and having trouble.
Looks like that would make it a lot easier to install from what I could see. So the strut doesn't even come apart for this 'revision' then?

Old 09-24-2008, 10:23 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That doesnt make sense. It sits on top of the strut, without disasembling the strut? Thats like a Ready Lift 2" lift, or any of the other ebay private shop 2" leveling kits.

I thought with that setup, that it messes up stock geometry because it drops the entire strut down 2". I thought a 4x4 would bind with that setup?

Wasnt that the whole issue in the first place?

Quick Reply: TM Leveling Kit...NEW!