3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tire--ed of sliding

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire--ed of sliding

Well I have had all I can stand of these lousy Baddyear Eagles 30K on them. Last year in the snow this truck was was worse with Posi than my '94 2wd without. If the street is a little wet the *** end is all over the place.
Talked to my mechanic, and he is putting these on my truck tomorrow. He and his partner both are running these and said they stick like glue.

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_w...?season=summer

FeatureSafety Benefits
HD Silica Compound (100% Silica*)

Provides excellent grip, longer mileage, and better rolling resistance while maintaining winter properties
Arrowhead Tread Pattern (directional)Unique tread positioning effectively expels water, snow, and slush while providing uncompromised lateral grip
Info PinCan inform driver of road conditions based on outside air temperature surrounding the tire
Severe Service Emblem
Only four-season family of tires that carries the Severe Service Emblem exceeding new government snow condition regulations
Jointless Nylon Belt
Helps prevent tread separations while providing a smooth, comfortable ride

Last edited by JAB02LHS; 09-10-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:24 AM
blkmagic
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a heck-of-a-tire....Nylon belts, is that a set back in technology?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 AM
RonnusTwo
Professional

since I've had my Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos on my truck I can hardly get my wheels to spin, even when the roads are damp.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

i have the nascar eagle 1's on my stock rims (my raceing slicks now since i have 20's)....and im looking into getting new tires for the stockers so i dont get my pretty rims all nasty.....what do u guys recommend for just winter tires and are CHEAP AS HELL

Old 09-11-2008, 10:58 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran

Originally Posted by blkmagic
Looks like a heck-of-a-tire....Nylon belts, is that a set back in technology?
Nope, an advancement. The "Jointless Nylon Belt" is in addition to the normal steel belts. It provides tire stability at high speeds. Michelin, Dunlop, Yoko, Kumho all have some version of it in their tires..

Richard Olsen, a Goodyear engineer who has studied the problem, said in an interview that a nylon belt "keeps the tread and belt from coming off the tire." Still, he says, eventually any type of tire construction will fail and that such belts are only one way to address belt separation.

British tire consultant Richard James Grogan believes nylon belts are the most-effective solution. "There's no question that nylon belts stop tread and belt separation in its tracks."
Mr. Grogan, who often testifies against tire makers in lawsuits, says nylon belts are widely used in Europe, where the technology was developed decades ago to counter forces that tires endure when operated at high speeds, such as on Germany's autobahns. Notably, belt separation isn't a big problem there.

Last edited by JAB02LHS; 09-12-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:47 AM
blkmagic
Professional

You're a warehouse of knowledge..hehehehe Good stuff there. Been looking at your TRX flares and tossing around if I want to do that or not. Some of the threads are right, they are pricey for 4 pieces of plastic...About $300 seems the going price.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:31 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran

Originally Posted by blkmagic
You're a warehouse of knowledge..hehehehe Good stuff there. Been looking at your TRX flares and tossing around if I want to do that or not. Some of the threads are right, they are pricey for 4 pieces of plastic...About $300 seems the going price.
I did the flares because I had them on my'94 Dak and this truck looked like something was missing, especially with that little indent around the wheelwell. They also give the truck a more rugged masculine look. Yeah $300 is steep but I usually keep my rides 10 or more years so---------

Last edited by JAB02LHS; 09-12-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:01 PM
importkiller76
Veteran

Well I put the bushwacker flares on mine, and painted to match and install cost me 550..._

Old 09-13-2008, 12:06 AM
JAB02LHS
Veteran
Thumbs up

Well the tires got put on yesterday, and today I got up to a nice steady even rain. All I can say is WOW! These tires are great in the rain! It's like driving on dry pavement! A couple of very aggressive launches from the traffic light will cause them to chirp like on dry pavement but no spin like the Eagles.

Braking is just as good, you can lock them up causing the ABS to kick in but the stops are quick and straight!

Last edited by JAB02LHS; 09-13-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:52 AM
blkmagic
Professional

First tiime I had the Dak out in rain yesterday, you couldn't start off from a stop with out wheel spin....Good old Goodyear...If I was on an incline...forget it..

Quick Reply: Tire--ed of sliding