3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tire--ed of sliding

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:47 AM
JAB02LHS
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm back. It seems my truck has developed a shimmy at speeds between 60 & 70 MPH. This started when I had the Nokian tires installed. First it was a really bad vibration in the steering at any speed over 50 MPH and they replaced 1 bad tire. Then the shimmy or vibration which you could feel through the seat and steering wheel started. They roadforce re-balanced the tires twice and could not make it go away. The tires came with a 30 day no questions asked return policy so I had the replaced with Goodyear Fortera TripleTred. You guessed it, problem is still there. They even pulled the driveshaft to check for balance and it check out ok. Anyone know of any TSB's on this problem?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:02 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when they replaced the tires did they remove those little brass washers that are there around the wheel studs? alot of us that has had new tires put on needed to have those removed do to the shimmy or shaking in the frt end. just a small brass washer will affect the frt end.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:05 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran

Originally Posted by superdak05
when they replaced the tires did they remove those little brass washers that are there around the wheel studs? alot of us that has had new tires put on needed to have those removed do to the shimmy or shaking in the frt end. just a small brass washer will affect the frt end.

I saw that in a previous post, but thought that was if you changed wheels.
I still have the stock wheels but will have them give that a try.
Thanx. SmileyTipHat.gif

Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

let us know what is up. sometimes they dont put the weights on proprely and they fly off.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Superdak, or anyone, have you guys had problems with the washer clips even after rotations? I am on the second rotation and this one is giving me a minor shimmy on the right front, its hardly noticeable, I almost think its the road half the time, but I am curious. The first rotation I never had a problem. I know the washers are useless, they only hold the drums and discs on during production, but I havent taken them off. I may need to...

Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 PM
06dakota2008
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default michelins baby

ok, i had the same problem, got like 15k out of those badyears. then i went to michelins. this thing is awesome in any weather and offroad. these tires stick til you really get in it or until they get slick. now piece of advice when you first buy them or rotate them, kick it around a corner one time to get them spinnin to get the siping wearing right, then you cant powerbrake'em loose!!! but be advised, they dont last long if you are doughnut and figure 8 prone.....

Old 10-15-2008, 10:41 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran

Truck is now @ the dealership.

Took it to my mechanic to remove the brass washers
but it died twice on the freeway to his shop.

Just shutdown, but restarted ok both times.

My mechanic removed the washers and said said two codes recorded,
first to reprogram the computer, second was bad cam sensor.

He said should be under warranty so dropped it off @ dealership
for the codes and also asked them to check the shimmy.

Told the about the two sets of tires and drive shaft check.
so they would not just come back with "Bad Tires" answer.

Will know more tomorrow, did not want to take in on freeway
to test if the washer removal helped the shimmy problem
until the stalling problem is resolved.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:27 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran
Angry

Dealer called truck is ready.
They replaced crank sensor for the stalling said it was getting an intermintent signal.

They checked right front tire and said it was
off ¾ oz on both sides and to take it back to who ever ROAD FORCE balanced the tires .

Called my garage and told him what they found, he then tells me they had someone in to recalibrate their machine yesterday, WTF?
He said to bring the truck back and they will check it out again.
Man I'm getting tired of this run around.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Dang man, hopefully it will be fine for you after the rebalance, i can imagine the back and forth is getting pretty frustrating.

On a side note, should the washers be removed or left on for stock rims? Every once in awhile I'll get a bit of a shimmy but it happens so rarely I usually convince myself it's the road.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:33 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran

The saga continues, went to pic up the truck from my mechanic after he rebalanced the tires for a supposed third time. Never made it home. Wife driving the truck me in the Tbird. She calls my cell to tell me the engine light is on again, took it to the dealer who is now closed 8:30 PM. Parked it in his driveway and left it there, they lock the lot at night.

Quick Reply: Tire--ed of sliding