3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tow Package question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 03:36 PM
jerkin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Package question

Hi guys, first post and hoping I can get some help. Here is the dilemma, a buddy has an 05 Dakota (he bought new) which supposedly has a tow package. He hasn't used it to tow anything in 2 years but now needs to tow a boat and there is no trailer connector. I haven't been able to look at the truck yet but I know it has a hitch and as far as I can tell they didn't come with a hitch unless you got the tow package.

I know it also has the button on the gear selector that helps keep the tranny from hunting when towing or hauling. Is this on all the trucks of just the ones with a tow package? My wifes 07 has a tow package so I don't have anything without it to compare to.

I'm thinking the dealer screwed him and just added a hitch and told him it had a tow package but I have no way to verify it until he brings the truck over and I can compare it to my wifes 07 or look to see if it has the tranny/engine coolers and such.

The dealer he purchased from has since went out of business but we still need to figure out exactly what he has so we can look up the weight capacities and see where to go for an electrical connection to the trailer. Thanks for any replies.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:56 PM
MoPaR4.7L

Jerkin......First thing I would is check to what the final drive gear ratio is. Most trucks with a towing package come equiped with 3.73 gears or better. To the best of my knowledge, dakota 's towing package comes with 3.92.

As far as the button on the end of the gear selector, most vehicles now come equiped with that. So basing that the truck is equiped with towing package with the towl/haul button is not enough evidence.

J.C. Whitney, Performance Accessories or any other truck website should list a connection kit that will wire in to the tail lights and provide a plug to mount to the oustide bumber of the truck.

Give it a few minutes and let some of these others guys chime in with their opinion.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tow package should have come with the connector integrated with the hitch, sounds to me like he might have gotten ripped off.

Also I'd have to get another build sheet from the dealer to be 100% sure but if I remember right mine has the 3.55 gearing and I know mine has the tow package.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:26 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah the connectors both 5 pin and the 7 pin should be there to the left of the hitch, it doesnt sound right if the connectors arent there.... and my trucks running with the 3.92s with the Tow Package

The Tow Package should include: (atleast the 07s do)

Heavy Duty Service Group - whatever that entails
Heavy Duty Engine Cooler
In Tank Aux Trans Cooler
6x9 Electric Multifunction Fold Away Mirrors
750 Maintenance Free Battery
Class IV Hitch
5 and 7 Pin Connectors

The build sheet can be requested through dodge/chrysler too besides the dealer, search the forum someone posted a email link or a request link for it. I requested one even though I had the Window Sticker, just to see if they differed

Hope this helps

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 09-25-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:30 PM
V8MANual
Captain

The tow pkg includes the wiring and the 6x9 mirrors in '05, also.
Mine didn't come from the factory but the dealer installed the receiver and the 5 & 7 pin wiring. Still wish I had the larger mirrors.
Tow pkg was available with any axle ratio. All the autos have the tow/haul button which locks out overdrive just giving you four gears.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 PM
jerkin

The back of that truck looks just like my wifes 07, same connectors and everything except yours has the nice V8 symbol, lol. After hearing what you guys have to say and knowing that most of the automatics have the tow/haul button, I'm certain now that the dealer screwed him and just put a hitch on and said it had the tow package. I'll tell him to call dodge for a build sheet to double check.

Fwiw it sounds like a few of you have the 3.92s with the tow package but I'm fairly certain that ours has 4.10's. Might be because we have the v6 instead of the 8, or maybe they changed something in 07 but it definitely makes a difference because we can't get anywhere near 20mpg that I've seen people on other threads talking about.

Thanks for the opinions.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Racinartist
All Star

A simpler way to tell if it was built/delivered with a tow package is to look at the window sticker (if he still has it). If the truck was equipped with a tow package, the window sticker would definitely indicate it in the options list.

Mine has 3.92 gears, 6x9 mirrors, receiver with plugs, etc. Mine lists it as Preferred Customer Package 26T and was a $345 option.

Quick Reply: Tow Package question