3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Further investigating valve tick on startup..

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:48 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Further investigating valve tick on startup..

You know how we have been discussing valve tick for the first 30 seconds of start up?

I know someone on the forum recently posted they had there valves adjusted and it corrected the issue, and others just deal with there gas engine sounding like the diesel at startup.

Well I had mine looked at by a buddy of mine at work. He's very inclined. He's resoring a 1947 Dodge Power Wagon pickup, ww2 production.

But anyway, I had him listen to the tick during start up, and he seems to think that since this noise goes away within 30 seconds of driving, that it could be considered normal. Somthing about the clearance for the first 30 seconds, im no mechanic. He didnt think it was really too much of a concern, or worth working on.

So today it is pouring outside, and around 45 degrees. I start the engine up for the first time this morning, and no tick...its quiet and perfect.

Huh? This never happens...What could the cold and the wet have to do with the tick? Oil is thicker possibly since its colder, but i feel like during the dead of winter this baby ticks for the first 30 seconds. Maybe the rain?

Either way, anyone have an opinion?

Old 09-26-2008, 12:48 PM
x99j
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does it to. (diesel sound at start up) but it only happens in the summer? when it is -10 below the motor won't do it? i am not worried about it because mine has done it from day one brand new. also my oil samples looked at by blackstones labs have all come back normal! mike

p.s. to me it sounds like piston slap?

Old 09-26-2008, 12:58 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

Ok, so maybe its a cold thing. That would probablly have to do with the weight of the oil. Mine has done it since day 1 too, so it's not really a problem. I was just curious.

I am using Mobil 1 Supersyn Extended Performance, 10w30. I also have had good results with my oil, and I am able to run 15,000 miles without an issue. I usually just change it every october though, which winds up being like 10-12k.

I won't run anything any thicker, it gets pretty cold here, plus, gas mileage. The 10w30 seems to be the most resistant to shearing and has pretty much the best results as well.

I just find it funny that when its cold outside the valves are quiet at startup. This engine would obveously be more quiet and smoother on a thicker oil, I am sure that oil weights will only go lighter into the future, oh well.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:37 PM
x99j
Rookie

when the vehicle was new i had talked to tons of people with the same noise and alot of people felt it was the timing chain tensioners. working theory was, when you shut the vehicle off the oil pressure drained from the tensioners. and when it was started first thing for the day it would gradually raise the pressure back up on the chains. but that was one of many theories as to what was going on, other people thought it was the lash adjusters and others thought it was piston slap because it sounded just like the piston slap noises in the jeep 4.0L motor.

what ever it is we do know it does not cause problems in the long run! mike

p.s. since new i have used dino oil changed at 2500 mile intervals

Old 09-26-2008, 01:42 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Same here, always been loyal to Dino oil in the engine The trans case and the rearends gonna get synthetic though.

You know whats funny seems like all theses 3rd gens differ some how yr to yr. My truck calls for 5w-20 for oil

Old 09-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The differing oil weight seems to be more of a regional thing. We get some pretty harsh winter weather in Maine so it makes sense mine calls for 5W 30

Old 09-26-2008, 03:09 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

As long as it doesnt damage anything in the long run, I'm happy., No reason to pursue it.

Change your oil every 2500 miles? Wow. I havnt done dino in a long long time. Isnt that like once every 2 months?

Old 09-26-2008, 03:31 PM
x99j
Rookie

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000

Change your oil every 2500 miles? Wow. I havnt done dino in a long long time. Isnt that like once every 2 months?
it is longer than two months, in three years i have put on 25,000 miles.

reason being is alot of short trips mostly city driving.

Quick Reply: Further investigating valve tick on startup..