3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

headunit, *also new member

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:26 PM
smacked1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headunit, *also new member

Hello all I'm new to the site and just bought a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7 about an hour ago and I'm in love its great and I haven't even got to really drive it.

I have a quick question about the stereo headunit and how its rounded on the volume and tune **** which doesnt make it rectangular anymore, so my question is.. is there a kit for aftermarket headunits and what headunits people have installed and if anyone has pictures let me know

also thanks again for this forum board and website, i will be a frequent member from now on!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 PM
PEPPERHEAD
Professional

Congrats on the new ride. A dash kit should be real easy to locate. I have a Kenwood HU and it is centered in the dash kit. If you have the SL or SLT it will be an easy swap from stock to after market. If you have the Laramie with the Infinity system you will need to purchase the bypass harness to get around the stock amp. You will also lose your steering wheel controls unless you buy the aftermarket unit for it. No big loss there as you don't get all the functions and simply not worth the $100. If you have the Laramie choose your replacement speakers carefully as far as tweeter size goes. You'll see what I mean when you pull the door panels and get a look at the stock tweets.
Good luck with the new truck and stereo install.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I went a bit different route, picked up a MyGIG radio for real cheap on eBay, they have 4 versions, with and without navigation, and then for each of those there is one made for a high-speed CAN-BUS and one made for a low-speed CAN-BUS. The speeds aren't interchangeable, if you get the wrong one it won't work. Someone was selling it saying they bought it brand new and it wouldn't work at all in their 08 Wrangler which was high speed, I took a risk and picked it up figuring it was probably a low speed radio. Luckily my guess paid off, the install for these is real easy if you get an adapter harness, all plug and play except that you have to cut out the center bezel a bit more so it fits.

DSC00422.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

Old 10-07-2008, 10:43 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

i f-in love how that looks.. if i change it im doing ur way rich, i cant help my self but copy ur idea lol
anyway welcome to the site

Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 AM
smacked1

Originally Posted by PEPPERHEAD
Congrats on the new ride. A dash kit should be real easy to locate. I have a Kenwood HU and it is centered in the dash kit. If you have the SL or SLT it will be an easy swap from stock to after market. If you have the Laramie with the Infinity system you will need to purchase the bypass harness to get around the stock amp. You will also lose your steering wheel controls unless you buy the aftermarket unit for it. No big loss there as you don't get all the functions and simply not worth the $100. If you have the Laramie choose your replacement speakers carefully as far as tweeter size goes. You'll see what I mean when you pull the door panels and get a look at the stock tweets.
Good luck with the new truck and stereo install.
I have the SLT and yes i would like to switch to aftermarket headunit and i want to swap all the speakers for my first mod, next will be CAI

Old 10-08-2008, 07:26 AM
smacked1

Originally Posted by ericemery
you mean a dash kit? Like this?
yeah thats it diff color though same style

Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Cuban11182
All Star

So question is, if you remove your stock stereo and buy the adapter for the aftermarket radio will you lose you bluetooth mirror function?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:56 AM
smacked1

haha no i was wondering where to get the dash kit, i have a 7" flip out dvd just need to fill those spaces like ericemery did

Old 10-08-2008, 10:16 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

tweeter is were i purchased the dash kit.

Quick Reply: headunit, *also new member