3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Leak Near the Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Jadman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak Near the Manifold

Has anybody successfully fixed a leak in the manifold on the passenger side? My mechanic said he has done a lot of them on the 4.7 usually in jeeps and usually on the drivers side. He mentioned it was an "easy" job but that is also what he does for a living. Just looking for any info I can dig up before I attempt to figure this one out. That damn clicking sound is about to drive me nuts! Once again thanks in advance for all your input!

Old 10-10-2008, 12:19 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

No exhaust work is easy, bolts break and round off parts are fused together etc.. You will need a good hot torch then the job becomes easier untill a bolt breaks off inside the head. Then it's drill and tap time. But on the good side the gasket is very inexpensive and you will save several hundred dollars doing it yourself.

Last edited by sdsdsd; 10-10-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: change
Old 10-10-2008, 02:06 PM
boopadoopa
Professional

I just fixed mine on my 05. I didnt break any bolts but they were all in a tight spots.
There are 8 bolts 4 on top 4 on bottom. Removing the air box made them accessable from the top with no issues. 4 nuts hold on the heat shield and they tend to break off as they are a smaller nut. Also the 8 bolts holding the manifold on are 3 different head sizes 10 mm,12mm,14mm I replaced all the bolts with new ones from dodge for 9 dollars.
Gasket was 11 bucks and 2 new bolts for the exhaust as those will not come off right, I cut mine off and replaced them with stainless bolts. Time on the Job for me was 2 hours . Make sure you get them tight and make sure you scrape off the old gasket really well or you will still have the leak. Good luck I did mine Engine cool as I didnt want to scorch my arms and hands

Quick Reply: Leak Near the Manifold