3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

debate on new shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericemery
yeah, but I would rather not have a generic truck... the tacoma just looks like a run of the mill small truck to me.
+1

Also one of my friends from high school has an 06 tacoma, stuff just keeps breaking on it, sometimes for no reason. They used to be tough little trucks but I would take my Dak or a Frontier over the new taco anyday.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:14 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rancho Shocks made a huge improvement in my ride. It still rides like a truck, but the Cadillac Bounce is gone. The stockers came off at 36000 and required extreme compression force with ZERO rebound control. In a word "pogostick". Note to all. After the shocks are installed, YOU MUST GET AN ALIGNMENT. No matter how straight it looks

Old 11-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Triggerhappy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone gone offroad with the rancho's or monroes. mine is regularly off road and i am getting sick of bottoming out the front end.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:51 PM
skikir

I've been looking around the net and many places advertise KYB MonoMax but I called KYB and they said they don't make any for the 205 Dakota. The guy wondered what the KYB part number was. I called Auto part wear house and got some place off shore. The couldn't tell me the KYB part number. Interesting thing is that everyplace that lists them they list the same SKU number. w1033-1616708.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:46 AM
coondog05
Veteran

havent bottomed out my ranchos yet..... no complaints at all! rides like a truck now!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 PM
skikir

FWIW
I wrote to KYB tech support;
The shocks on 2005 and earlier Dodge Dakotas are universally considered very poor (except by Dodge.) I use my truck as a general purpose and utility truck, hunting, hauling a camper, hauling dirt, gravel and lawn, garden and farm supplies as well as commuting. I use it as a truck, it's no beauty. I would like to get a set of KYB Monomax shocks for my truck but I understand you do not make shocks for the front. I am getting conflicting stories on the rear. Do you make a Monomax shock for the rear? If so can you tell me the part number?

They wrote back;
We do offer a MONOMAX for the rear, the part number is 565040. The front we are still working on. Dodge changed the design of their front suspension on the Dakota from shocks to struts so we are still working on it.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Rayzuli
Amateur

Nice to know they are "working on them", I recall sometime ago someone wrote that KYB said they were not going to work on the fronts, but well, it would really be nice to have one more option.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm trying to find these elusive ranchos. So far I've looked at shockwarehouse.com and 3 other online stores. All only have the Rancho fronts, and a choice of 2 Monroes for the rears. Anyone know where I can get a 4 Ranchos? I may just go with the monroes for the rears since the front is the real prob area.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Rayzuli
Amateur

Why donīt you check RockAuto.com, I think they have all four. I bought mine from shockwarehouse since they had the four as a set.

Greetings!!

Quick Reply: debate on new shocks