3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Loud squeaking!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:29 AM
tankmechus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud squeaking!!

I've noticed that on colder mornings, before the truck gets driven or warmed up good, the front drivers side squeaks loudly when going over a speed bump. I can't figure out what's causing it. I've tried "bouncing" the front end by hand while it's parked, and have also noticed that it goes away after being driven for awhile, or when the outside air temperature is warm. I did notice one time that when I bounced the front end, it sounded like it was coming from the steering linkage or upper control arm area. I've used white lithium grease spray on the upper control arm bushings, but not on the steering yet. I've noticed the noise more after installing new shocks and the TM front leveling kit. Don't know if it's just continually getting worse, or just cause of it being colder outside lately. I don't think it's the bushings, cause I took the truck back in and removed both coil-overs and moved the contol arms to see if they would squeak without the shocks on. Any ideas would be helpful!!

Old 11-12-2008, 03:34 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ball joint

Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

Well one thing for sure is they screwed us with no lube points! It would be nice to lube the ball joints and steering linkage.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:18 AM
tankmechus
Rookie
Default ??

Yeah, I can't understand why ANY vehicle manufacturer would make suspension and steering parts without grease fittings! I know they're "supposed" to be maintenance free, but come on, everyone knows that anything mechanical is not maintenance free. It's just poor craftsmanship. Anyway, I don't believe it's the ball joints, at least not the upper one. I inspected and moved them around after the struts were out and they seemed to be fine and operated smoothly. I think I'm gonna take it into the shop again soon and see if they can find what's causing it.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:19 AM
tankmechus
Rookie

Also, from what I was told by the local Dodge parts department, you can't buy the upper ball-joint or control arm bushings by themselves. You have to buy the entire upper control arm assembly for about $265!!! What the hell is up with that?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be ball joints. My old Ranger did the exact same thing. With only 20,000 miles on it. It started off intermittently squeeking when it was cold in the winter and then by summer was doing it all the time. Replaced upper ball joint, problem solved. My Mazda 5 had squeeky control arm bushings. Only squeeked in the winter time. The fix was to replace the control arms and bushings with redesigned units under warrenty, as spraying them with grease did not penetrate. Also, odds are nothing will squeek unless the components are placed under load. Rocking back and forth is a good way to find the problem. For increase leverage, try rocking an open door.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

check that lower ball joint carefully. mine did the same thing and the movement in the bj was barely noticable. even my mechanic said "yes there is movement, but how the hell did you see it". he told me it would be ok for some time,but in 2 months my tire was shot. and the bj only had about 1/8" of movement when i changed it. i would recommend getting after that problem, especially if it is the bj, or risk having to spend $ on tires too.

PS. don't bother with a grease needle through the boot, it will not lube the top of the bj and only ends up oozing back out onto your rims and driveway. i'm experienced. i've tried different silicones and caulks to reseal the holes with no luck.

Quick Reply: Loud squeaking!!