3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

potetial newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, another thing that has popped up is the airbag warning light and chime. No, not the one in the center of the dash for the passenger seat. The real one in the instrument cluster. Did anyone ever come up with a good fix for that?

Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 AM
engine5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the replys. Right now my purchase is on hold because of the economic conditions where I work. The Dakota I was looking at was an '06 extended cab with the 3.7 and auto transmission. I am familiar with the powertrain because my wife had a Liberty with the same engine and tranny. I still plan to buy a Dakota after the economic issues are settled because I like the styling and it's the right size vehicle for my needs.

Thanks again for all of the input and please feel free to add any additional issues that may come up.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Joe

Old 11-26-2008, 01:14 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest hitting a RR crossing or two at speed on the test drive. My factory shocks are holding up at 28,500 mi, but I'm waiting for the day when they shiat out.

What axle ratio is that Dakota spec'd with? It would be nice if it had 3.92's; I think most Liberty's had 3.55's but weigh a solid 400# less than a CC 2WD Dakota (3850 vs 4200+).

The V8's are nice but I'm sure tougher to find in the less expensive trim levels. The 6 is a trusty motor, it just won't win any drag races.

The stock Goodyear SR-A's are also pretty awful in terms of traction, handling and ride quality; basically everything you look for in a tire. They do wear pretty well, so you might find them still installed on this truck. I would try to get a discount, or a new set of better tires, included in the asking price...be insistent with the dealer that you are aware of their terrible reputation. I swapped mine out and am glad I did. I only plan to run them in the summer to get the remainder of the tread life.

It's too bad these trucks are the red headed stepchildren of a horribly managed brand. They all have fullsize-truck drivetrains, frames and axles. Yet after years, just enough basic aftermarket support to overcome the factory weaknesses.

Quick Reply: potetial newbie